Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Whatever You Want

I awoke this morning with this prayer on my lips, "Jesus whatever You want I want to obey." Not a long prayer but definitely a sincere one. Whatever He wants.

That is pretty open ended. I'm not trying to bargain or cut a deal with Jesus. He gets to determine what He wants. My two responses are to discern what He wants and then to obey. It could be something big or something small. For example, like last night in my home after dinner. Brenda's mother wanted Brenda and I to watch a Christian program with her. I commented to Brenda that I was tired and was heading to bed even though it was only 8:00 p.m.

After clearing my plate from the table and refilling my glass I intended to go to our bedroom. I cannot explain it. I felt a little check inside that I needed to stay up and watch that program. First of all because, I knew it would mean a lot to Linda (Brenda's mother) and secondly, I knew it would mean a lot to Brenda. I also felt I needed to watch it for myself and see what I would get out of it. Whatever He wants means continual adjustments in what we want. I wanted to go to bed. He wanted me to stay up a little longer to receive.

It is so easy to pray a simple prayer like, "Whatever You want I want to obey." It sounds spiritual. People who hear such a prayer may think well of you. The hard part comes when Jesus calls you on it. When He requires you to adjust your life, schedule, priorities, and finances to what He wants.

He may want you to give up sleep to spend more time with Him. He may want you to serve those in your household. Because I went to bed a little later than normal I had no intention of getting up early. Yet when eyes opened I thought about Tucker soon getting up for work. He made a comment last night about my not cooking breakfast for him like I've done his whole life. The temptation to roll over and let Tucker fend for himself crossed my mind. Jesus wanted me to get up and serve my son. I cooked him breakfast. Serving others is not always convenient. Next, Jesus wanted me to cook Linda breakfast when she woke up later. He wants us to serve others.

What does Jesus want? He wanted me to take Turner to breakfast to spend a little one on one time with him today. During our conversation I asked what God spoke to Him in his last quiet time. He replied, "To love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength." I asked if he could think of anything he loved more than God. He honestly said he could not. That is a priceless conversation I never would have enjoyed with my youngest son had we not had some special time together.

What does Jesus want? He wants us to be available to Him. To obey in the little things as well as the big things. To serve others. [Jn 13:1-16]He wants us to love others. [Matt 37:39] He wants us to forgive others. [Mat 18:21-22] He wants us to love Him supremely. [Matt 22:37-38] He wants us to trust Him. [Mark 11:23-24] He wants us to pray. [Matt 6:5-7] He wants us to go. [Matt 28:19-20] There is so much He wants us to do. Right there in His word.

Is our heart to really obey what Jesus wants? We will be tested from time to time. To give. To sacrifice. To minister when it would be more comfortable to stay at home. To pray when sleep is holding us hostage underneath the covers. To study when vegetating in front of the television requires less focus. May we all seek to live obeying what He wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment