Saturday, June 16, 2018

Only One Father Loved His Children More Than Me

We celebrated my 22nd Father's Day this morning. Taylor and Tanner could not be here because of their summer jobs. I will catch a plane tomorrow afternoon headed off to preach again. Many people take fatherhood for granted. Some even shirk the responsibility. I try not to. It is one of my highest callings.

I have failed at many things. One thing I have done is give my boys my time. From the time they are infants until today. I still try to spend one on one time with each of them when possible. Those times are more infrequent as they grow older. I cherish those times. They have other interests and rightly so. They have their own dreams to pursue. Part of my dream has always been to support, love, help, provide, counsel, nurture and be available for Taylor, Tanner, Tucker and Turner.

The past 22 years has flown. Even so I made those four wonderful young men a high priority in my life. Each summer going back over 15 years ago we worked out together in the summer. When they were younger this meant playing baseball, basketball, football, tennis, jogging and biking all together when they were old enough. When they reached the proper age we graduated to weightlifting, agility drills, skill exercises, core workouts and more running but always together. I took them lunches at School, went on field trips, coached each of them numerous times and still sit in the stands to cheer them on and pick them up when they fail. I took the oldest three on their college campus visits and recruiting trips. Each of those a special memory. Over the years I took each of them to eat one on one. I took them on preaching trips with me to spend time with them.

I had three aims in mind during our summer work outs. First, it was one more way we could spend time together. Because my boys have all been driven and loved sports I designed workouts to help them get better and made sure they did those workouts with correct form. Thirdly, I wanted my boys to the beaming the best conditioned when school started. When they were younger I wanted them to learn to be active and not sit around all summer like couch potatoes. 15 years later we are still at it, or at least part of are still doing it together.

I cherish those times together. Now I am only down to two. Tucker, Turner and I workout each afternoon. We push each other all being competitive. We laugh. Most importantly we are together.

Fatherhood is a blessing. I am humbled and honored that out of all the dads in the world God hand picked me to be Taylor's, Tanner's, Tucker's and Turner's dad. That is my greatest honor in life. It does not matter where I preach or how often I preach. All my accumulative writings can never measure up to the way I feel about getting to be those four young men's dad.

I have not done it perfectly. More times than I can count I've had to go to each of them and apologize for my behavior. Repeatedly I've tried to tell I love them and that I am proud of them. To this day I greet each of them with a hug. Even as big as Taylor and Tanner are. I confess it is hard to get my short stubby arms around those two. I greet Tucker and Tuner with hugs each day.

I love being their father. I have enjoyed the front row seat God gave me to watch them grow up. What a blessing. Far better than I could ever have imagined or deserved. Today on Father's Day weekend I do not think about me. I think about them. Each of them just being my sons and loving me is all the Father's Day gift I will ever want or need.

Taylor, Taner, Tucker and Turner. A special message for you. I love you boys. You continue to make me proud and grateful God chose me to be your dad. I wish we could all be together but when each of you were born I dedicated you back to God. I want you to follow His path and not mine. Just know on this weekend only one dad ever loved his child more than me. That was God the Father loving His Son Jesus. Even He surrendered Him for the Kingdom of God purposes.Many fathers have loved their children just as much as me but not more. Only Yahweh loved Jesus more.

John 3:16 (ESV)
16  “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment