Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Crossroads

I traveled down a long dirt road not knowing where it would end. My GPS did not work. I had no cell coverage. I traveled alone and therefore had no companion to show me the way. There were no houses or other travelers down that country lane. I kept driving thinking sooner or later I would run into something or someone that could help me find my way.

After a long drive I eventually came to a crossroads. The road dead ended at the crossroads. I sat there in the middle of nowhere. Alone. Lost. Confused as to which turn to take. As far as the eye could see I saw nothing before me. Nothing. No houses. No towns. No signs of life. In neither direction could I see anything but a long narrow dirt road disappearing behind hills. Just an empty road. A dusty dirt lane in both directions. Which way to go? Which turn to take? One would take me to my intended destination. The other would lead me further away from my destination.

Eventually I stepped out onto the road. I inched toward the intersection trying to figure out which way to go. I looked long in both directions. Helplessly I looked at my cell phone but had no cell tower coverage. I bowed my head in prayer asking for help. "Lord, which way do I turn? I don't know the way. Which way do I go?"

I had no roadmap. Just a crossroad. A choice. Turn to the left. Turn to the right. I could not stay there forever. I had to make a decision. I didn't want to make the wrong turn and end up who knows where off the beaten path.

"Lord, which way do I turn? I don't know the way. Which way do I go?" I received this response. "This is the way." Into my mind came an impression. It appeared to me I knew which way to turn. Just a pressing thought. I returned and turned to the right. I ended up at my intended destination.

Some would argue no matter which way I chose I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right. This is true. I also had a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong. God answered my prayer. Not in an audible voice. Really He used a scripture like He does so many times. The scripture made an impression. By faith I went with the impression. I turned to the right in a turn of faith.

Isaiah 30:21 (NKJV)
21  Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," Whenever you turn to the right hand Or whenever you turn to the left.

God knows the way. At every crossroads for all of us. He knows the way. In the crossroads of life it is best to lean on Him for which way to go.
 Proverbs 3:5-6 (NKJV)
5  Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;
6  In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

He knows best. He knows which way we need to turn. May we learn to wait on Him in life's decisions so we always turn in His direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment