Friday, June 8, 2018

Another Faith Step

I looked down the road and did not like what I saw. It was a familiar scene I'd seen many times before. Up in front lay another choice. A choice to proceed in faith or the choice to retreat in doubt. I sighed a weary sigh. After decades of taking such steps the thrill sometimes is lost. I know what these faith steps mean. Lots of prayer. Lots of trust. Lots of patience. Lots of perseverance.

Sometimes I wish the road in front of me did not have so many faith steps. I wonder what a normal life would feel like. Then I wake up and realize from a Biblical perspective walking in faith is the normal life.

This faith step will affect more than me. The affects are far reaching. The challenges are massive. There is the opportunity to look like a fool again. The faith steps look more like faith leaps from where I am. Warning signs of impossibilities are posted up ahead to deter me from going any further. If I had a lick of common sense I would just turn back now. It is the logical thing to do. I sense God calling me forward. One faith step after another. Even with the giant faith leap looming I hear Him whisper in my spirit;
1 Thessalonians 5:24 (NKJV)
24  He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it.

I will go ahead and admit it. I'm tired. Over two decades of faith steps and I'm plum tuckered out. I'm also concerned. Not with God. I know He is faithful. I am concerned with me and my ability to discern His faith steps.

About this time last year I took one such step of faith in Kermi,TXt for a tent revival. Most nights we had less than one dozen people under that tent. I felt called. God provided the financing for all of it. Night after night I sat under that tent humiliated. Nearly two dozen dreams all pointed toward a great revival. I met some wonderful people I treasure to this day in Kermit. As far as revivals go I cannot say we even came close. I left with my faith bruised are than strengthened.

That is not the only time something like that happened. Two attempts to plant churches. Two churches disbanded. One four years after we started and the other six years after we started. I could tell many other stories of faith failures. Truth is I'm fearful of getting God's call wrong. It has happened numerous times causing much hardship. I hope to avoid that again.

As I age I am more cautious. A little more hesitant to follow every whim. More prayerful and discerning. More patient. These are good traits but there still comes the times when God calls me to step out of comfort and security toward uncomfortable and risky steps of trust.

That is what I see down the road. The choice is already made. I have to obey. I have to take another leap believing it is God calling me to do so. I don't know the outcome. I just know another faith step is coming and He who called me holds my fate in His hands.

Hebrews 11:6 (NKJV)
6  But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment