Friday, June 29, 2018

Love That Lasts

We met in college me a football player - you my beauty queen,
You were by far the prettiest brown haired girl I'd ever seen,
It took some time for me to work up the nerve just to meet you,
On that little central Texas Baptist college campus called HPU,
You were different than all the other girls I dated much before,
One study date with you at the park and you had my heart galore,
We dated, loved, learned, worshipped and serve Jesus our King,
I was ready to get married and went out to buy a wedding ring,
Things got rocky, I pushed way too hard and we parted our ways,
Those were some of the hardest most lonesome and try ing of days,
I prayed, I wept, I leaned on Jesus and found Him faithful to me,
In hindsight I know now He was molding - back then I could not see,
In a twist of fate - part of our Sovereign infinite God's master plan,
He brought you back and we started walking again hand in hand,
We set the date and invited our families and all our best of friends,
We stood before God pledging our undying love for one another again,
With one "I do", the slip of the ring and a kiss you became my wife,
The one I covenanted before our Lord  Jesus to give and share my life,
We shared adventures following hard after Jesus all over this big state,
You stood with me when we succeeded and even in all my mistakes,
We saw God move, grow youth groups and churches with salvations,
Because, "People need the Lord," back to our early dating conversations,
Nearly three decades have passed just shy by only three short years,
We laughed along the way and on some occasions we've shed tears,
God through you blessed us with four powerful athletic servant boys,
Whom I delight - my quiver full -  constantly bringing me new joys,
We are both older now as the years seem to be whizzing right on past,
I am glad when you married me it was for keeps with a love that lasts.

For my brown eyed beauty on our 27th wedding anniversary.
6-29-18

No comments:

Post a Comment