Friday, June 22, 2018

What Are You Building

We all spend our days building something. Some build companies. Some build herds. Some build houses. Some build into young minds. What are you building?

When your days are completed and people remember you what will they remember you built? Your investment port folio? Your retirement? Will you build something that lasts? Something that can stand up to the refining fire of the Judgment Seat of Christ?

Many build their children. Teaching them. Training them. Guiding them. If you are a follower of Jesus you pour Jesus into them. You instruct them in Bible truth and pass on the heritage of your faith to them. This will stand the test of time.

It was pure joy to watch Taylor and Turner serving Jesus this week at Beach Camp here in Panama City, FL. Taylor worked as a counselor. Turner helped with the recreation. I missed Tanner and Tucker being here also but enjoyed the time with my oldest and youngest. I love watching the young men they are becoming. They are on a bus headed back home going through Mississippi. I am waiting in the airport to fly back to Texas. I love my family. I cannot wait to get home and see Brenda at the airport. It will be a short drive home where I will see Tucker and Linda (Brenda's mother.) It will be a little while longer before I get to see Tanner.

Other than my wife and children my life's work is building God's church. I enjoy loving, shepherding, discipling, serving, leading and teaching to build people. We have stopped in many locations to do this work. The location changed but the work did not. We continued to labor to build His church.

Noah built an ark. It took him a long time to do so. God called him to the task. Noah obeyed and did all God wanted him to do. In the end there was a huge ark full of animals and his family giving testimony of Noah's faith.

Genesis 6:11-22 (ESV)
11  Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight, and the earth was filled with violence.
12  And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth.
13  And God said to Noah, “I have determined to make an end of all flesh, for the earth is filled with violence through them. Behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
14  Make yourself an ark of gopher wood. Make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch.
15  This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark 300 cubits, its breadth 50 cubits, and its height 30 cubits.
16  Make a roof for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above, and set the door of the ark in its side. Make it with lower, second, and third decks.
17  For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon the earth to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life under heaven. Everything that is on the earth shall die.
18  But I will establish my covenant with you, and you shall come into the ark, you, your sons, your wife, and your sons’ wives with you.
19  And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every sort into the ark to keep them alive with you. They shall be male and female.
20  Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing of the ground, according to its kind, two of every sort shall come in to you to keep them alive.
21  Also take with you every sort of food that is eaten, and store it up. It shall serve as food for you and for them.”
22  Noah did this; he did all that God commanded him.

Like Noah I want to build something that points people to God. I want to build something that will last in eternity. I want to leave two things behind that give testimony of my faith. My family. A wife who feels loved and treasured. Four boys who feel loved, supported and encouraged by their father. I also want to leave a church that honors and brings glory to Jesus. Both are rewarding and worth all my effort for all my days. What are you building?

No comments:

Post a Comment