Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Where Did The Time Go?

I busied myself with a writing project for the church today. The revision of a membership class.  When I looked at my watch before I began, it was around 11:30 a.m. I got lost in the project, like I can be prone to do when writing. I get so caught up in it I lose track of time. This happened all the way back to my elementary years. I have always loved to write. When I looked back at my watch I could not believe it was 1:45 p.m. Where did the time go? It was only then that I realized I was hungry and stopped for lunch.

In reality time methodically ticks at the same rate for all people in all times. You have experienced seasons when time seemed to fly by. Perhaps the weekend came and went faster than you could believe. Maybe it was a night of sleep and the morning arrived before you were ready. For the student it is Christmas and summer vacation. For the employee it might be a holiday weekend or vacation. The truth is time goes along at the same cadence. It does not hurry nor does is slow the pace. Time just marches on.

Then there are other times when time seems tocrawl. Like waiting in line at the DPS to renew your license. Or waiting at the doctor office. Time appears to pass slowly when you punch a clock for a living waiting until you get off work and can do what you want to do.

Time never stops ticking. We only get one chance at this thing called life. If we squander time, we can't go back and recapture it. It is lost forever. Like a stockbroker investing money we need to be wise in how we invest our time. When I say invest our time, what I really mean is invest it in things that matter for eternity. We all only have an allotted 24 hours in a day. God made us where we have to sleep. We have to eat. There are some things that we have to do to survive that take up our time. We also have discretionary time. Many spend it in front of the television. Others spend it on social media or surfing the web. I hear about people binge watching something. With each activity time passes.

Here is the question. When we get through with our activities, will we be able to look back and say it was time well spent? Time wisely invested. It might be time ill advised. Time squandered. Time thrown away on things that do not matter. If we can lay our heads on our pillows at night, and do a mental rewind of our day, coming to the conclusion we spent our time wisely, that is a good day. If you do that consistently that makes for a good life.

I just looked up at my clock on this computer. It says it is quitting time. I say I have time for one more post before calling it a day. Time flies when you're having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment