Wednesday, October 9, 2019

My Heroes

Even as a grown man I still have heroes. Three of mine fortunately are still alive. You may not have heard of them. Charles Roberts, Bob Harper or Jess Little. Each of these men had and still have a profound impact on my life.

Charles Roberts baptized me and is the man I still consider my pastor. He served Denman Avenue Baptist Church, my home church, for 34 years. He faithfully expounded the word of God three times a week. He persevered. He loved. He invested in me and gave me ministry opportunities. I owe him so much.

I served with Bob Harper as a youth minister. Brother Bob loved and still loves to read theology at 82. He is a people person and joyful even in adversity. He served the Spring Creek Baptist Church for 14 years and then New Faith Baptist Church for close to 20. He is in an assisted living place now and preaches to the residents each Sunday morning. Brother Bob at one time had a library of over 10,000 books. We both shared a passion for revival and talk about that when we get together. I love that man.

Jess Little is the dad of one of my college friends. He grew up in the Pan Handle of Texas. He is an old cow poke God called to preach. He served the Sunset Heights Baptist Church for 23 years before retiring at 73 about a year ago. He had a library of over 5,000 books of which he gave me most of them. What a gift. He read voraciously and expounded solid doctrinal messages to his flock. I talk to him on the phone often and recently saw him when he was in the metroplex. He is a theologian. Self taught. A bold man of God. I love him like a father.

Each of these men stayed in their churches ad lovingly labored over the long haul. They faced adversity. Two of them lost sons in tragedies. One is a widower. Two have wives with chronic health issues. All three are aging and facing their own health issues. All three keep ministering when given the chance. I admire these men. They are examples of what a pastor should be. They are what I strive to be.

I thank God for these heroes. I know they were not and are not perfect. I still hold them in high esteem. When I talk to them and get around them, I am encouraged. I am blessed. I am filled with gratitude God put them in my life. I salute Brother Charles, Brother Bob and Brother Jess. You faithfully executed your charge. Well done good and faithful servants.


No comments:

Post a Comment