Friday, October 11, 2019

Bug Buffet

Turner had two doctor appointments today. Not good news on either. A major infection on his elbow and the doctor confirmed he has a torn ACL. We are in the process of scheduling surgery now.

I had stop to get gas on the way to Fort Worth for the orthopedic doctor. As I pumped gas I noticed all these black birds all over the place around the gas pumps. Curiously I wondered why so many congregated there. I thought maybe they hope for a crumb to fall from a car. I went inside the store and when I came out something caught my eye.

One of those black birds sat in front of my truck on the ground. He didn't seem the least concerned as I approached.  I wondered what he might be doing there. Soon I found out. The bird ate the bugs off my front grill, bumper and license plate. We drove to Wayland last weekend to watch the older sons play football. We hit a lot of bugs on the drive home and they were caked on thick. These birds were geniuses. They knew that with every car that stopped they could eat the bugs off the cars and get their bug buffet for the day. And they didn't do anything to earn that meal. They just showed up and God gave them the sense to figure it all out.

Matthew 6:25-33 (ESV)
25  “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?
26  Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?
27  And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?
28  And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin,
29  yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
30  But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
31  Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’
32  For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
33  But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

We are commanded to look at the birds in the air. We are reminded they do not sow nor do they reap and gather into barns. Here is the biggest reminder. The Heavenly Father, Yahweh, feeds them. Think of all the millions of birds throughout the world. God feeds everyone of them.

On my drive home yesterday I saw hundreds of birds perched on a power line. God takes care of each of them. Now, here is the most pressing question. Do you believe you are more valuable in the eyes and heart of God than all those birds put together? God didn't send Jesus to die on a cross for birds or any other animal for that matter. He sent Him to sacrifice for people. For you. For me. That is the proof of your value. The cross.

So don't worry. Don't be anxious. Your Heavenly Father knows what you need. He knows your address. His resources are limitless. His storehouse is full. He has provision for anything and everything you will ever need. The same God who provides a bug buffet for the birds is more than able to meet your needs too. Rest in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment