Tuesday, October 1, 2019

When The Outcome Is Not What You Prayed For

Friday night Brenda and I sat in the stands watching our youngest son, Turner, playing football. We pray for God's protection for our sons when they play as well as athletes on both teams. Football has never meant less to me. All I care about is my sons coming off the field healthy.

The game went back and forth. Half way through the fourth quarter our quarterback threw a pass. It sailed high and the receiver jumped to grab it. The defender hit the receiver in the air causing our player to land awkwardly.

The receiver immediately writhed in pain rolling back and forth. As we scanned the field looking for Turner, it soon became apparent it was him on the ground. After the trainer tended to him they helped him off the field and put him on the training table. He could barely walk. it looked bad. Our hearts sunk in the stands.

Many questions raced through my mind. Why? What was God doing? How could this injury possibly glorify God? What about our prayers for protection. I barely even noticed the last of the game and did not know the score at the end. All my thoughts were on my son. When the game ended, Brenda and I went the back way onto the field along with two of our friends Turner considers adopted grandparents. Tuner limped over to us and  when he got to me he threw his arms around me putting his head on my shoulder and sobbed. It is a pain I felt as a parent I cannot describe. Like knives ripping into my heart. Like my heart shattering in a thousand pieces. A sunk hopeless feeling. As much as I loved my son there was not one thing I could do to help him. Except I prayed for God to help us a family get through this with faith.

I asked him if he heard anything pop and with tears still streaming down his face he answered affirmatively. We both knew what that meant. We have been through it twice with his older brother and once with him. A probable torn ACL. A major surgery with a six moth rehabilitation. He said he just wanted to change and go home.

We drove home in silence. The next morning he could barely walk. We went to the doctor today. The diagnosis prematurely before we get an MRI was just as we suspected.

What amazed me is the faith and attitude of my son. He received the news joyfully. He told me he was excited about what God is going to do through this. When he returned to school and told his coach and teammates they did not believe him because he could not quit smiling. I have never been more proud of my son. He is teaching me how to deal with adversity. It reminds me of a Scripture.

Philippians 4:4 (NKJV)
4  Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment