Friday, October 25, 2019

Falling From Revival

One of the saddest stories I have ever read from history about of God's choice vessels in revival, is the story of Evan Roberts. God used him powerfully. Yet after the Welsh Revival, Roberts was taken in by a lady and her husband with some extreme theological views. They had a profound influence of the young preacher. Roberts felt he should give himself exclusively to prayer and became a recluse. When he died many years later, he did so in a hospital alone without anyone even knowing who he was or what God used him to do in younger life.

He battled depression and a nervous breakdown. The revival took a great toll on him. I have written many times that revival is costly. Maybe that is why we have not seen more revivals. Few are willing to pay the price.

God brought a powerful, but short lived revival back in history. You have heard about it I am sure. It is a famous account. One fiery preacher stood his ground prayerfully and powerfully against wicked forces. God honored his courageous stand and manifested HIs presence in such dramatic fashion no one could doubt God showed up.  The impact was far reaching and immediate. That is not where the story ends.

God's vessel received criticism and threats, because the revival definitely upset the status quo and exposed wickedness across the land in high places. That man of God went from revival to suicidal depression quickly. How? How is it possible to go from experiencing revival to depression in just days?

Just like Evan Roberts the revivalists got tired. With the fatigue the enemy had room to cloud the mind with sinister thoughts. Depression settled in like the dew on the ground overnight. If the story ended there it would be as sad as the Evan Roberts story. Thankfully, God intervened.

The man of God made his way to an isolated spot to hide from people. He could not hide from God. God met him in his isolation and asked him a simple question. He asked what he was doing in isolation. In those quiet moments God met His servant and spoke to Him.

After that, he lived a long time and history records that he had a very fruitful ministry. He never seemed to battle that defeating depression again.

That man of God was Elijah and you read that story in I Kings 19.

In the summer of 2010 God graciously reached down to kiss the little west Texas town of Seminole and the Frist Baptist Church. I got a front row to see all of it. It didn't just start there. I carried the burden for that revival for months. I did not sleep well during that time. The burden never left. I felt it continually. I prayed and prayed. When it started God enabled me to preach 27 times in 23 days. When it ended I was exhausted. I took one day off. We ended the revival on a Monday night. I took Tuesday off and then we gathered again for our regular meeting the following Wednesday.

I did not realize the toll that revival took on me spiritually, physically and emotionally. From 2011-2017 I suffered the worst depression of my life. I felt alone. I tried to hide it unsuccessfully. I could not see any hope. I had little to no peace of mind at times.  Prayers went unanswered at least in the way I prayed for them. Nothing worked. I could barely preach in those years. I preached to myself. I had nothing to offer anyone. I preached often amazed during the sermon God used me.

It is not as uncommon as you might think for people to fall from revival. Pray for revival. Believe God for it. Know for certain revival is costly and often that cost is extremely high. Be warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment