Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Conviction In The Cab

As I pulled out of the church parking lot to make the commute back home, I thumbed through some cds to find something to listen to. I know. Cds are old fashioned but I have no music on my phone. I have no auxiliary cord even if I did. I was not in the mood for music. I wanted a sermon. I found one and plugged it in. It was not the one I expected, but it was the one God intended.

I made my way through town and down the backroads toward home. This message, which I have listened to numerous times, started hitting close to home. After I drove through the town of Poolville, God showed up in the cab of my truck in the form of reproof. Conviction hit home. Each point of the preacher drove the conviction a little deeper. I realized I had sinned and needed to repent.

Each point hit like a heavyweight boxer. I could not escape. It did not happen in a sanctuary. No one else attended that little meeting between God and I but the two of us and His Spirit. At first,  I felt embarrassed that such a sin had snuck up on me so unsuspectingly. Then I thought about previous commitments made to God that my sin violated.

It went deeper than just repenting. It became very clear what God intended me to do in response. He is requiring that I  confess the sin publicly which I will do Sunday night during the evening message. I will also take a giant step in obeying God's leadership. It is all risky. Way out of my comfort zone. Sunday night is not normally a highly attended gathering. I'm not doing it Sunday night to hide anything. I am doing it Sunday night at God's direction and because following the message we will go into a church wide prayer meeting.

I did not expect to have such a profound encounter with God on the way home in the cab of my truck. That is the way it is with God. He can show up anywhere at anytime to do His work in us. It makes a walk with God thrilling. People just never know when God will show up and what He will do next. It makes me want to pursue Him even more.

Lord keep it coming. Have your way in us. Bend our hearts toward You. Convict us where it is needed. Please honor our faith steps in obedience for Your glory. I ask for Your help on Sunday night not to shrink back in fear but to courageously obey You. Please help those in attendance prepare themselves to hear from you too. May they come eager to meet with You and repent if convicted also. I trust You to have Your way in all of us. In Your name Jesus I ask it, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment