Monday, October 14, 2019

Out Of The Boat

Matthew 14:22-33 (NKJV)
22  Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away.
23  And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there.
24  But the boat was now in the middle of the sea, tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary.
25  Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea.
26  And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear.
27  But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid."
28  And Peter answered Him and said, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water."
29  So He said, "Come." And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus.
30  But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!"
31  And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"
32  And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.
33  Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, "Truly You are the Son of God."

I prayed for days about the message God wanted me to preach Sunday night. Sometimes through the night. I felt a mandate to preach about getting out of the boat and confessing a sin. For days I prayed and in a way dreaded what I had to do Sunday night. It would be a turning point. I prayed all Sunday afternoon. Over and over again I asked God to prepare the people for they would hear that night. As the hour approached, I felt apprehensive. It would be a big step of faith. God called me to step out and I resolved to do so but felt unsure as to how the people would receive it.

It has been a long time since I felt so nervous and uncomfortable in the pulpit. Especially at Spring Creek. Though we have only been there a short time, I have felt at home there since the fist Sunday. Like I belonged. Not on this occasion. God had me way out of my comfort zone and I had publicly shared beforehand that I would confess a sin that night. A sin that affected the whole church.

At the point in the message where I had to come clean, I took a deep breath and shared. My sin. Twos sins really. Fear. Unbelief. Some may say, "That's it? You made a big deal out of doubt and unbelief? I thought it would be something more juicy and sordid." I assure you the sins of fear and unbelief in my life offended God and I believe hindered God's blessing on Spring Creek which I could no longer live with.

As far back as July, God began revealing His plan for Spring Creek to me. He painted a picture in my mind and heart I found, and still find it hard to believe. Over these past two and half months that vision has increasingly come into focus. His burden has kept me up seeking Him more than I ever have at any point in my life. It is a vision so large that I dared not share it publicly. I tried sharing with a few people privately. Each time I could tell it was hard for them process. So I kept it mostly to myself.

At one point God chastised me that I could not share it publicly until I became fully convinced the vision was from Him. So I held my peace. Prayer consumed me but I dared not go public with the vision. I refused to share the dream to Spring Creek or on this platform. I sat in the safety of the boat  curled up like a scared child unwilling to even look at Jesus on the water. For months I did this.

Then Jesus convicted me in the cab of my truck last Thursday. He called out about my fear and unbelief. I could no longer hide in the safety of the boat. He called me out of the boat. To take a huge risk so early in my new ministry at Spring Creek. Well do I remember having to do the same ting at Seminole. I felt the exact same way the Sunday night I shared the vision about that revival. Scared. Nervous. Convicted and convinced I had to do it. That is what I did last night. I went public with the vision and stepped out of the boat. The point of no return before a new flock I love.

Here is the vision.

God has continually put in my heart that He is going to send revival to Spring Creek Baptist Church. A real revival. Repeatedly He has impressed on me that it will start on Father's Day, June 21, 2020. He has also impressed on me that many will be saved and that it will last longer than any of us think. I am to immerse myself in revival culture and to lead the church in that same culture over these next eight months. I am also to write a 70 day devotional book to prepare Spring Creek for what God is about to do. We will start those devotions on Easter 2020. They will lead us up to Father's Day.

What I did not share last night, is over these past two and a half months God has given me several specific dreams or visions about this revival. I will share them throughout the rest of this week. I've only shared those with two trusted friends. On top of that, God has spoken very specifically about things He is calling me to do in preparation. He is requiring me to pray for a certain length of time each day. He is requiring fasting. He is calling me to write this devotion book titled, Shake The City Prayer Guide: A Prelude To Revival. He's impressed on me a specific friend to come and lead the revival meetings in worship. I am called to preach those meetings.

I'm out of the boat. When I finished sharing this last night, I called the congregation to a prayer meeting. I went down to the front pew in the middle section. I sunk to my knees in exhaustion from unloading this burden. As soon as I knelt, I knew the dam of tears I had fought back were about to spill out. They did. They formed a puddle on the pew. I kept praying through sobs, "God I obeyed you. I stepped out of the boat. I obeyed you." I also pleaded for Him to capture the hearts of the people. Most of them have never experienced genuine revival. How could they understand and believe unless God put the same burden He has placed on me in them.

I have put my hands on the side of the boat and stepped over the edge. I am looking at Jesus and out on the water.

Why the fear and unbelief? I have been through this before two other times. Once in Seminole. God ushered in a true revival that lasted 28 straight days and 36 people getting saved. I had to step out the boat to cast vision for that revival months before it ever came to pass. The second, in the small town of Kermit, TX. I had dreams and visions about that town. In them I felt called to go there and set up a tent and preach a revival. God orchestrated all of it. We secured a piece of land to hold the meeting. God provided to rent a tent and chairs. He also provided for the worship team to have hotel rooms and food for the week. We entered the week with expectations. I failed miserably. Under that big tent we never had more than a dozen people show up. I felt humiliated. I never want to go through something like that again.

When God first began putting these things in my heart about the revival at Spring Creek, I immediately thought about Kermit and shrunk back in unbelief. When He persisted in calling me to believe Him for this revival, I sat back in fear refusing to go public with it. I do not want to make a fool of myself again.

Like Peter seeing Jesus walk on the water, and seeing the potential to do the same, I hear Jesus simply say, "Come out of the boat." In faith I have and will. I believe Him for revival. Spring Creek will never be the same again. I will never be the same again.

Now, there are eight months to prepare. Eight months to pray. Eight months to write. Eight months to fast. Eight months to cast vision for revival. Eight months to believe. Eight months to keep my eyes on Jesus as I step out and stay out of the safe, comfortable, secure confines of the boat. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment