Wednesday, May 2, 2018

The Voice

Thousands of voices clamor for our attention day in and day out. Television voices. Social media voices. Radio voices. Live streaming voices. Political voices. Talking head voices. Parental voices. Educator voices. Employer voices. Friendly voices. Spousal voices. Medical voices. Religious voices.

They are everywhere and they are constant. Opinions and demands are constantly expressed. One says do this. Another calls for doing that. An influential person points in a whole different direction. One calls for believing a certain way. Passionate experts call for deeper commitment and conviction behind their cause. We are constantly getting pulled in different directions by voices in a giant tug of war for our souls.

It is all confusing. We can lose ourselves in the chaos of all those voices.

In the midst of all the noise there is one voice above all the others. A still small voice. An other worldly voice. An eternal voice. An authoritative voice.

Isaiah 30:21 (NKJV) 
21  Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This isthe way, walk in it,"Whenever you turn to the right handOr whenever you turn to the left.


It is that voice I seek to tune my ears to above every other competing voice in my life. I fight to preserve times of solitude for prayer, Bible reading and meditation and to listen for that voice. The voice of Jehovah and His Son Jesus. I seek that voice for both comfort and encouragement. I wait on that voice for devotion and direction. When I face decisions and do not know what to do or what direction to go I wait on that voice. Sometimes a timely scripture comes immediately. Sometimes I wait years on end to know what God and Jesus are calling me to do. 

If my real ambition in life is to please Him, then it stands to reason I have to know what He wants. There are tings He wants I will never be able to discover on my own. He has to reveal them to me. He does that in His word. He also does it through the nudging of the Holy Spirit. Therefore, I must live life with my spiritual ears wide open always listening for Him to communicate.

Yahweh's voice is the preeminent voice, the primary voice and the most prominent voice if we just take the time to listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment