Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Fussing And Fighting Churches

In my years in ministry I have seen my fare share of fussing and fighting churches. During a revival I saw a member and the pastor have to be separated physically during the altar call that ended in a shouting match. Their actions ruined that service and the revival meeting. I have seen churches where the teenagers attended business meetings just to watch how foolish their parents would act toward one another. They shouted, spoke sarcastically, shouted and treated one another with lack of respect and love. Feelings were hurt and grievances were harbored in the heart and mind.

I have been in churches where people had agendas. Places where people schemed, fought, intimidated, connived and manipulated others all so they could have power and control. I have also seen God put all their efforts to naught in response to humble prayer.

When will church people ever fully realize it is not their church. Jesus is the Head of the church. He is the One in control. He alone has authority to determine the direction of ministry and decisions. If congregations had more prayer meetings than business meetings I bet the fussing and fighting would stop.

Tragically I have known more than one new believer who got exposed to fussing and fighting in a church. I saw them so repulsed by it they left the church and never returned. I know that cannot please God.

People fuss and fight over the style of music, which aisle the pastor walks down, how to spend the money, color of the carpet, who will get selected to be in which leadership positions and so on. I saw fussing and fighting at a state convention in Amarillo, TX one time among preachers and I've never had the desire or stomach to go back. There we were in a great convention center in the name of Jesus and yet not acting in ways that honored Him. Hypocrisy.

Some think they are right. The barge ahead destroying people in their paths. Some go along with anything just to get along with the most vocal. Jesus must want to vomit. How can such actions and attitudes really characterize the people who claim He transformed their lives. Lost people treat each other more civilly than some church people.

Psalm 133:1 (NKJV) 
 Behold, how good and how pleasant it isFor brethren to dwell together in unity!


If that is true so is the converse of that verse. How bad and unpleasant it is when brothers in Jesus cannot get along. It is shameful. It is sinful. May repentance be in the house of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment