Tuesday, May 8, 2018

My First Lady

I met Brenda Ortiz in college. To say I was smitten would be an understatement. Her beauty captivated me. I did not work up the courage to even talk to her until half way through the semester. Even then I needed help from my roommate Eric. He had a class with Brenda. He found out about her asking questions. The more he learned the more he relayed that information to me.  The more I learned the more I wanted to get to know her.

When she jogged around the campus at night I would sit in strategic places to watch her. I don't think she ever noticed me or gave me a second thought. I don't have a lot going for me but I am persistent. I resolved I would not only meet her but take her on a date. One day Eric and I waited for her to come to the cafeteria for lunch. When she set her tray down to get her drink we moved in. When she returned her once empty table had new occupants. I positioned myself right next to her. I wonder what she must have thought. I told you I am persistent.

I am also inquisitive. We made small talk. Somehow I got her to go on a study date with me to the park. She actually brought books. I brought my imagination. She never did get to open those books. I asked her question after question in rapid fire succession. The first question I asked was if she was saved. She blew me away with her testimony and her love for Jesus. I loved her right then. We both came from broken homes. We both were the oldest siblings. She studied business. I think she felt bewildered when I told her my studies were in Bible courses to become a preacher.

That study date led to walks around the campus at night. Talking. Getting to know one another. Laughing. Eventually we began praying and studying the Bible together. I had no doubts I wanted to spend the rest of my life with that woman.

Before that God had some maturing and pruning He needed to do in me. That season was painful and part of that pruning meant removing Brenda from my life. For one solid year. During that season I fell in love with Jesus. I no longer idolized her. I never thought she would ever come back. God had other plans. Surprisingly we reconnected at our graduation, though she had finished her course work a semester earlier. She returned to receive her diploma. Then totally unexpectedly she returned to my life.

We dated. I proposed at a Howard Payne University homecoming football game. She stood when she heard her name over the  sound system asking her to please stand at the end of the third quarter. Nervously I waited. I had already asked her mother's blessing. I waiting clutching the ring in my pocket. The announcer read my proposal. She stood stunned and silent. I stood with the ring. She finally said yes after she got over the initial shock. She slipped on the ring, we kissed and I high fived my friends. We wed eight months later.

We have moved all over Texas in ministry. We now have four boys, three in college. This morning I held her in my arms praying before the alarm sounded. I thanked God for her. I thanked God for blessing me beyond comprehension with Brenda to share my life. She is loving. Compassionate. Organized. A great money manager. A servant. A follower of Jesus. A worshiper of Jesus. A woman of faith and courage. Tough. Faithful. Kind. Willing to follow Jesus and me anywhere if she believes God has called. I always say churches have never minded when I told them we were leaving but they always hate losing Brenda.

We are nearing our 27th wedding anniversary. I love her more today than I did back when I first got to know her. I held her in my arms today firmly. I smelled her hair. I captured the moment. I do not want to take her for granted. I massaged her head and listened to her sleeping. A priceless moment in my memory.

Later on this evening we will tag team dinner and rush out the door for Turner's 7 on 7 games. Last night we watched Tucker getting his senior pictures taken. I stayed up late listening to Tanner talk about football at Wayland Baptist University where he plays. Taylor will come home this weekend. I love all four of them. Loved following their dreams and pursuits. They can never take the place of my First Lady. Maybe the Lord will bless us with another 27 years.

1 comment:

  1. Remember those early days. Days when you and Eric guarded my First Lady from any raiding marauders. Thank you. God has richly blessed us with our spouses.

    ReplyDelete