Thursday, May 17, 2018

Following His Footsteps Part 1

Have you ever had the same verse show up over and over again? I am sure you have. Maybe in the span of a few days, weeks or months. I have had that happen for the past seven years! It happened again this week. Once someone quoted it to me. Twice I read it in morning devotions. The same truth in different Gospel accounts. Once in Matthew and in Luke.

When the same truth returns over and over again during the span of seven years that gets my attention. Of course during that span I have prayed as to the meaning. I have sought to obey it. I have meditated on it. I now share that with you.

I am going to share the verse out of a translation I rarely use. The person who quoted this verse to me earlier in the week used a different translation. I liked it.

Luke 9:23 (Phillips NT)
23  Then he spoke to them all. "If anyone wants to follow in my footsteps, he must give up all right to himself, carry his cross every day and keep close behind me.

This will be the first in a four part series. I want to start today with one simple word. It is the word want. "If anyone WANTS to follow in my footsteps."

Other translations use the word desire instead of want. It starts right here. Do we want to follow in Jesus' footsteps? Do we desire to come after Him? Before we can dive deeper into this truth we must address our wants and desires.

If we do not have the want to or desire to get behind Jesus we will not care much for the rest of the truth. So where are our wants and desires? What is it we long and wish for?

As for me, I know I have made a mess out of my life many times. When I've sat in the captain chair over my life I typically go astray. One of the things I not only want, but also need, is for Jesus to take the lead. That is my desire. To get out of His way and fall in step behind Him like troops marching behind their commanding officer.

I want that. I desire that. I need that. There have been many other instances when I set my eyes on a destination and then tried to convince Jesus to go along with me or I just broke ranks and went out on my own. This has never worked well.

Our wanting and desiring should be for Him to lead. On our lists of wants and desires where does this fall for all of us? Is this a priority? Is it important? Is it even on our radar?

It seems fewer and fewer have any want to let Him lead. There is little desire to come after Him. If this does not change in the church will continue to be impotent. Members will be lukewarm. Devotion will be tepid at best. Worship will be half-hearted. Hypocrisy will abound. Evangelism will nearly go extinct.

I want to want to follow in His footsteps. I want you to want to follow in His footsteps. I want all of us to have a greater wanting to do this. An ever increasing desire to go in the same direction of Jesus. Ultimately I know, we can't just will to want to Him lead. We may will to do so for a season. Emotions will fade. Resolve with ebb. Want will wane. If it is left up to us we will fail.

If Jesus pours fuel on the flame of our wanting and desiring it can actually increase. That wanting and desiring can endure through all seasons of life. It can span a lifetime. I hope that is what we all want. A lifetime of wanting and desiring to follow in Jesus' footsteps. Continually revived by the good work of Jesus in our hearts, minds, and will. The ever increasing want and desire to not just let Him lead but, to also follow in His footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment