Sunday, May 6, 2018

A Day Of Worship

Brenda, Tanner, Tucker, Turner and I drove into Weatherford this morning where I would preach. Taylor had to work back in Brownwood. Brenda got lost in her thoughts, the boys slept and I listened to the radio on the forty minute drive. Suddenly one of my favorite songs came on. More of an anthem for my life. A song about surrender.

I sang pouring out my soul to the Lord. I sang praise and sang a declaration of my faith. I meant the words from down deep. I did not need a congregation around me. Those words penetrated and echoed in my heart before gushing out of my mouth. Here are the words that touched me so deeply.

So what can I say?
And what can I do?
But offer this heart, Oh God
Completely to you

I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the one who gave it all
I'll stand
My soul Lord to you surrendered
All I am is yours
* Hillsong United - The Stand

I encountered God on that drive. I also encountered Him earlier this morning in Bible reading. I didn't  have to wait until I got into a holy huddle on the HBC campus to worship. I worshiped through teaching His word in Bible study.

The worship continued during the service today especially with an old convicting hymn, I'd Rather Have Jesus. I had to stop the singing after the second verse. I wanted to make sure we all were paying attention to the words. I will just include the chorus here.

I'd rather have Jesus and let Him lead,
Than to be the king of a vast domain, 
Or to be held in sin's dread sway, 
I'd rather have Jesus than anything, 
This world affords today. 
* Rhea Miller copyright 1922 


I paused while singing those words. I asked myself if that were true for me. I asked if I would rather Jesus than new vehicles. I have one vehicle with 310,000 miles on it and another with 230,000. I asked if I would rather have Jesus than a large salary. Would I rather have Jesus than the applause and notoriety of men and their applause. Would I rather have Jesus than a hard road of ministry. The words that penetrated deepest were, "I'd rather have Jesus than anything." ANYTHING.

After that we observed the Lord's Supper. Reverent. Solemn. Reflective. These are the words I would use to characterize that time.

We were not done. Then I got to preach. Actually, I preached a mini message before the Lord's Supper from I Corinthians 11 warning the attenders about partaking in an unworthy manner and extended an invitation. After the Lord's Supper, I preached the next message from the book of Mark chapter two. A day filled with worship and the wonder of Jesus. A day to celebrate Him and His goodness to us. A day to be challenged by the truth of His word.

My day started in worship. It continued in worship. And now I cap it off by worshiping through the writing of this. What a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment