Friday, April 13, 2018

Restless Heart

"My heart is in turmoil and cannot rest; Days of affliction confront me." [Job 30:27]

Job suffered. More heartache than I can wrap my mind around. He lost is sons and daughters. He lost faithful servants. He lost possessions. He also lost his health. If that were not enough his own wife encouraged him to curse God and die. His friends accused him of living in sin. Job suffered. More than I can put my mind around.

He honestly confessed his heart was in turmoil. A storm raged in his heart as he tried to make sense out of his circumstances from his limited perspective. He did not know God has chosen him as a case study to display faithfulness in the midst of horrible suffering. He did not know millions would draw strength from reading his book.

A storm raged in his heart. He tried to make sense of the sufferings but in the end all he could come up with is the Almighty had turned on him. Yahweh appeared to be the enemy. The truth is He allowed all the suffering to happen. He did not stop any of it. Nothing touched Job that did not get sifted through God's hands first.

Have you ever had a heart in turmoil. No matter how hard you tried to make sense of your plight did you find doubt and faith clashing violently inside you like lightening and thunder in the skies during a spring storm? Dark clouds cast shadows on hope and peace.

Has a tumultuous heart ever kept you from rest? I woke up at 3:00 a.m. today. I wanted to go back to sleep. I  could not. Too many things rattling around in my heart and mind. I eventually got up and read in the book of Job. That is when I came across this verse. This truth touched me. I could feel how Job felt.

Days of affliction abound for many. Health afflictions. Financial afflictions. Family and relational afflictions. Emotional afflictions. Psychological afflictions. These afflictions stand toe to toe with us, eye to eye and nose to nose to confront us. Each affliction to get us to quit and to doubt.

There is a refuge. A place of peace. A sanctuary to find rest. It is Jehovah Himself. He is our refuge. He is our rest. He is our peace. Even in affliction and turmoil. With that in mind I plan to sleep peacefully through the night. My mind and heart can remain at rest no matter the size or source of my afflictions.


No comments:

Post a Comment