Thursday, April 12, 2018

A Wonderful Gift

The phone call came unexpectedly. A generous offer. A gift of a lifetime. Something I admired from a distance but dared not dream of ever having. Yet the very dream that had once seemed out of reach now was mine for the taking. I could not believe what I heard on the other end of the phone.

A much loved and respected elderly pastor wanted to give me his library. Some 4,000 books. Not just any books mind you. Classics. Books you can't just go out and buy anywhere. Spurgeon. Campbell Morgan. Tozer. Havner. Ironside. Lloyd-Jones. Owens. And many others I've never heard about. 4,000 volumes wealthy in knowledge. 4,000 plunges into the depth of God and His word beyond imagination.

I assure you no child was ever more excited over receiving gifts than I was on that day. I have boxes everywhere around my house. I cannot get them all in my small home office. There are stacks of boxes and bookshelves lined with books and then others stacked on top of those books. O what a glorious day.

Several times I preached in Pastor Jess Little's pulpit at Sunset Heights Baptist Church in Odessa, TX. I never walked into his office that my mind and eyes did not drift away to all the volumes of books he possessed. Never did I ever dream he would one day bless me with those books. I am humbled. Grateful. I am also eager to learn. So much to learn. So much to read. So much to discover.

I am thankful to Pastor Little and to my Heavenly Father for this bountiful gift. I want to steward my time wisely. So much truth to learn and so little time to do it. What a wonderful gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment