Thursday, April 19, 2018

Just Hitting My Stride

When I was younger I thought when a person turned 50 they were old. Now when I look in the mirror I see a 51 year old looking back at me. While I do not feel young I certainly do not feel old. In many ways I feel like I am just hitting my stride. 

Let me explain. In my early days in ministry I had a lot of zeal but very little knowledge. A very dangerous thing. Like a bull in china closet I barged my way through ministry at times trampling on people who stood in my way. 

As the years passed God began maturing me. He also began breaking me. I have my P.H.D. in the school of brokenness. He also taught me about prayer. He introduced me to authors who lived lives of prayer. He taught me about taking steps of faith. Sadly it was later on that He taught me one of the most important lessons needed for ministry. Love for people. He also taught me to treasure the gift of relationships. 

Through the years I read the scriptures from Genesis to Revelation over and over again. God began unlocking themes and a richer understanding of truth. I also began to get a broader scope of the entire book and history of God's people. God taught me the immense value of expositional preaching through books of the Bible. 

Now at 51 I will not say I have arrived. Not in the least. What I will say is God opening His word to me revealing truth and to inspire messages like I have never known before. I feel like I have so much to offer. So much truth to share and to write. At 51 I do not feel like slowing down. I feel like going hard after God like never before. I hunger for Him and His truth. I am zealous for the work of ministry. The word retirement is not a word I entertain. There is much life to live and ministry to be done and I welcome both. 

While I cannot do things physically like I did when I was 21, I face the fact my body has some limitations. That does not mean I quit pushing it. I still work out. Push ups. Crunches. Planks. Resistance bands. Medicine balls. Cardio work. All devices of torture to not let this earthly temple get comfortable. 

51 is not old. I am constantly reading about preachers and pastors who ministered into their 80's. I have a dear friend who still serves as a pastor at 72. In his spare time he still builds fence and works cattle. He is an inspiration to me to keep going. Our president is in his seventies. 

Our society values youth. I have watched for years as senior citizens are more and more devalued.  I see this in churches. Seniors can be looked at as hindrances to the youth movement. Many senior saints can hardly recognize the churches they labored and helped build. Their opinions are not valued. Their presence is often taken for granted. 

As an aging pastor I have gained so much wisdom from sitting and visiting with older Christians. I have sat in many houses and hospital rooms listening, conversing and enjoying the company of believers who have walked further down the road than me. As a pastor I feel like I am just hitting my stride. 

What about you? Are you hitting your stride? In your walk with God? In your understanding of the Bible? In your prayer life? In your profession? You might be aging but that does not mean you are increasingly devalued. You still have much to offer God and His church. 

Now also when I am old and gray headed; O God, do not forsake me, until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to everyone who is to come. [Ps 71:18]NKJV


No comments:

Post a Comment