Sunday, April 29, 2018

Disagreement With A Legend

Last week I visited the Sam Rayburn museum and library. What peaked my interest was the library. I wanted t see what books this man started collecting from eight years old  on. So my friend and I went in. I grew up not far from Lake Sam Rayburn but really did not know that much about him.

The fact that he served as Speaker of the House of Representatives for 17 straight years grabbed my attention. I doubt we will ever see that again. He also served in Congress under eight different Presidents of the United States.

I saw a replica of his office I found interesting. The desk did not seem overstated. On the right side sat a red leather couch. It all fascinated me. I saw actual documents he wrote with his own hand. I saw all kinds of pictures. Of course we saw the library. The hostess gave us permission to look inside the books. He wrote his initials on page 99 of each of those books.

My disagreement with the honorable Mr. Rayburn came when I went to an interactive display. I pushed a button that displayed footage of Speaker Rayburn addressing Congress. Then the disagreement came. I found myself arguing with a dead legend. He made the statement that serving in Congress was the greatest job on the face of the earth. I disagreed so vehemently I actually spoke out loud, "That is not true!"

The greatest profession in the world is preaching the gospel. I stood in a pulpit today expounding the timeless truth of Mark 2. I preached with all my passion, all my intellect, all my reasoning, all my body and all my prayer yearning for people to have a fresh encounter with Jesus. I stood trusting to be God's vessel to deliver truth to listeners, most saved and some I am not certain of their salvation in a little country church.

Eternity hangs in the balance when the preacher stands to preach or teach. Eternity does not hang in the balance when Congress is in session. Congress sessions do not usher people into fresh encounters with the God of this universe. I am not saying doctors, lawyers, teachers, ranchers, farmers and politicians are not important professions. They are not the most important. Nor business, realty, financial planners, coaches, mechanics, welders, brick masons, librarians or anything else.

I may never stand before thousands. I have only preached before a thousand people two times. I have preached before hundreds on numerous occasions. Most of my ministry has been in smaller settings with less than 100 people. That might seem insignificant until you consider all the people drawn to Jesus and forever changed. I get to partner with God to impact eternity. What is more important than that? I think nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment