Sunday, April 29, 2018

His Value Of A Man

Our family received an invitation to a surprise birthday party for a man we love and served alongside in ministry for a season. We showed up early and reconnected with several old friends before the guest of honor arrived some 40 minutes later.

When he arrived he did get surprised. I personally talked to people in that room who drove over five hours to come to that party. Some drove three hours. Others an hour and a half and many at least an hour. There had to have been close to 150 people in that room Some from his current church. Some from his first church. Others from the place we served together. All gathered because they love this man and his wife.

I sat back at one point ad took in the scene. His value clearly evidenced by all the people who still love him. This man and his wife have given their lives away, invested in scores of people, served and loved. Last night they received love in return. I saw coaches, school administrators, pharmacists, oil field workers, a sheriff's deputy, teachers, farmers, bankers, mechanics, retired people, young people and several preachers.

The older I get the more I understand the treasure and joy in life comes from relationships. My brother last night is a rich rich man in relationships. We were honored to be in attendance. More honored that we will share lunch with them later today.

It made me wonder in hindsight how many if any would show up for me at such a party. It served to convict me to pour my life into people more, invest deeper in relationships, serve others and love. A good ambition for all of God's children.

No comments:

Post a Comment