Saturday, April 14, 2018

A 38 Year Old Prayer

I remember it just like it happened yesterday. I was 23 years old. I can still remember the prayer and the very place I stood when I prayed it. It was my last day as a student at Howard Payne University. I had completed all assignments and final exams. I waited around for my graduation the next day. It was a Friday afternoon. Most everyone had already left campus. Things looked pretty desolate.

I walked into Mims Auditorium. I sat in that building for chapel services, revival services, concerts, and special events. On this day I stood alone. I am not even sure why I walked in there. I stood at the back of the room and offered a prayer. "Lord, I ask You to one day let me come back and preach in this place." A simple prayer but heartfelt.

Over the years I prayed that same prayer over and over again. It really took on new life when Taylor chose to attend Howard Payne. Still no answer.

Then one day out of the blue I got my answer. A long awaited 38 year answer to prayer. I got asked to preach a chapel service on 2-14-18. What a joy. Brenda got to go with back to where our love first blossomed with me on that day. The day was all the sweeter because we got to share it with Taylor. The best thing of all is  God moved in the hearts of those students and professors. I did not go back to HPU to entertain students but to preach the word of God. What a day and what a blessing.

Some of you have asked God for things that look like will never come true. Some of those prayers may not have been the will of God. There may be some that the timing is just not right yet. I encourage you to not lose heart in praying those prayers and believing God for the answer. Persevere. The answer may be 38 years in the waiting. [Luke 18:1]

No comments:

Post a Comment