Saturday, June 1, 2019

This Is The Way

For many years Brenda and I shared the same routine. Anytime we traveled and did not know the directions where we were going we would argue. She has no sense of direction and I am too prideful to stop and ask for directions. She told me in college she had never gone home the same way twice when I asked how to get to her house. I had never been around Fort Worth and had no idea where to go. On one trip into Lubbock she settled the argument for all time with these words, "I could not read a map when you met me and I still can't. You know this. Deal with it." I did.

Not long after that we were introduced to someone who helped us settle our problem once and for all. She was extremely knowledgable and patient. Her voice often calmed stress filled trips. Her name... Garmen. Garmen saved my marriage we like to say. Now we have traded Garmen for GPS on our phones.

I love it. It takes most of the guess work out. Turn here. Turn there. Your destination is on the right or left. It makes traveling for the Edwards much more peaceful.

What if we had a Garmen or GPS for life? A voice guiding us on which paths to take and where to turn to get to our intended destination. We do. Read it for yourself.

Isaiah 30:21 (NKJV)
21  Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," Whenever you turn to the right hand Or whenever you turn to the left.

Training to hear the voice of God takes some practice. It also requires some effort. Effort to read the Bible and meditate. To pray and be sensitive to the Holy Spirit's promptings. Learning to be tuned into circumstances. God speaks in several ways and we should become familiar with all of them.

Like I have written and preached incessantly, God speaks through His word and that is the first place to start. Cultivate reading God's word to hear His voice. Make it a lifelong habit. Devote yourself to it assiduously. I recommend reading through the Bible or making significant progress reading through it once a year.

It never fails when I devote myself to this God speaks to me. Maybe not every time but He does speak to me at least weekly. Most days I come away with some nugget of truth. When I need God's guidance on important matters I get an answer in due time if I keep reading to hear His voice. He tells where to go and what to do. He is better than GPS. He always knows the way. He knows every twist, turn, detour and mapped path available. He never fails to offer direction to those who seek Him long enough and consistently enough. Listen today for His voice saying, "This is the way walk in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment