Thursday, June 20, 2019

Lessons From The Moon

I rolled over and looked at my phone. 4:23 a.m. Wide awake I rolled out of bed and had a crazy thought. Being that Turner and Tucker sleep in the common area where I spend time with God I decided I would stroll down to the beach.

Once I got past the camp ground the only lighting came from the moon. I looked up trying to determine what kind of day would soon break. Would it be overcast or clear. I saw a few clouds but the moon shone clearly. The moon beams shimmered across the gulf waters.

The sound of waves pounding the shore and the balmy breeze my only early morning companions. I  walked to where the waves had packed the sand near the tide. I had no idea how far I would walk. This walk would be for fellowship with God and not for exercise.

As I ventured out I came up on a private luxury hotel. They had sunbathing reclining chairs and I took my seat in one, though I am sure I was not supposed to be there. Who would notice at 4:30 a.m. I sat to enjoy communion with the Creator. Than I saw it. A flash of lightening out over the waters. The soft glow in the cloud looked like someone turned on a light switch behind a drawn shade.

Recalling my adventure in the rain yesterday I decided to head back for camp. I trudged through the sand trying to find where I entered the beach in the soft glow of the moon. Eventually I found my shoes and made my way to the boardwalk steps. I sat down one last time to take in the sight. I worshipped. I listened. I took a snapshot with my heart.

Then I went back to the camp and went to a pool where I reclined in one of the pool chairs and fixated on the skies. By this time the sky behind began slowly fade from black to blue. In front of me it was a totally different story. Soft puffy white clouds got gobbled by dark ones. It almost looked like a black pac man game.

Through all of this the moon still shone. I prayed, "Lord, what do you want me to get from this morning. What can I learn?

The thought came, "The moon is a reflection of the sun. I am to be a reflection of the Son." By this time the dark clouds engulfed the moon as well hiding behind its black curtain. That did not mean that the moon was not still there. Nor did it mean the sun would not rise even though the clouds might try to hide it.

Jesus the Son still shines in the darkest nights, in the darkest places and in the darkest minds. None of those things can keep Him from being the Light of the World. As He shines so are His followers to shine.

John 8:12 (NKJV)
12  Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."

Matthew 5:16 (NKJV)
16  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment