Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Life's Little Blessings

For over twenty years I have enjoyed a summer tradition with my sons. We work out together each summer. It started when they were small. Instead of just sitting around the house everyday fo summer eating snacks and watching television I took them out for some exercises in the afternoon. We played baseball, basketball, tennis, ran, rode bikes and as they matured lifted weights. I did it to keep them active when they were young. As they grew we did it to prepare them for football in the fall. It is a summer tradition in the Edwards' house.

Last summer I injured myself twice. The first time I strained a calf muscle. It did not heal for months causing me to miss out on any running. At some point I strained my left achilles. It may have happened at the same time. This took much longer to heal. An entire year.

From time to time I would test it with moderate exercise that required jumping or slight jogging. Each time I would feel the twinge of pain. My heel would ache when I walked for days afterward. Eventually I determined I would give it time to rest. While I still did other forms of exercise I hated not being able to do any high impact work. When it still did not respond by Christmas I decided I would wait another six months.

This week I went to the track with the sons (except Tanner who is working out at college) all grown now. I decided to try it. Some years ago I read an article from a doctor about how to introduce running back into exercising safely after a long lay off. He recommended ten seconds of running followed by fifty seconds of walking and doing this in 10 minute intervals slowly building up over time.

I am sure it looked silly. To slowly trot for ten full seconds. I waited for any sign of the pain in my heel. Seven seconds, eight, nine, ten. Nothing. Pain free. I walked a bit and then slowly trotted for another ten seconds. Still no pain. By my reaction you would have thought I just finished a marathon. I raised my arms in a sign of victory. The guys who were blowing by me running sprints wondered what I was doing. I promise my trot was not impressive to anyone but me.

I explained to them how I injured myself last summer and had been unable to run, do jumping jacks, burpees, plyometrics or any high impact exercises. At times just walking or standing on my feet for extended periods hurt. To get to slowly trot was a little blessing to me. Worth celebrating and giving God thanks. I celebrated life's little blessing of slow jogging just like an Olympic athlete who wins the gold medal in a race.

Life is filled with little blessings. A simple meal. Last night I enjoyed a salad and some squash. It really hit the spot. I more enjoyed sitting around the table and watching and listening to Tucker hold court in one funny story after another. Our dining room filled with raucous laughter.

I enjoyed my bed, the soft pillow and the air from the twirling ceiling fan. I enjoyed the little blessing of Brenda next to me. Predictably, I feel asleep first.  We seldom go to sleep at the same time. I am an early riser and she is a night owl. I turn in between 9:00-9:30 p.m. Brenda much later. We often hold hands in our sleep at some point in the night. Another little blessing. I am thankful for her and the life we get to share together filled with little blessings.

I enjoy reading my Bible finishing the book of Isaiah yesterday. Many times over the years I have devoured scripture truth in devotional readings. I have broken in more than one Bible in that time highlighting and making notes in the margins. Another little blessing.

I talked to people I love deeply on the phone yesterday. I am thankful for the blessing of being able to stay in touch with people who live far away. Some even in other states.

I am thankful for the little blessing of this writing ministry that goes out over the web. Writing is a passion and therapeutic for me. I love doing it. I thank God for the little blessing of His inspiration as I just went through a season of writer's block. It appears that has lifted.

Thank God for the little blessings. Take time to enjoy your day. To give thanks. To express love. To serve others. And maybe, just maybe to even take a little ten second trot and throw your arms into the air in victory.

Psalm 103:2-5 (NKJV)
2  Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits:
3  Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases,
4  Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
5  Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

No comments:

Post a Comment