Monday, October 14, 2024

The Salute

 Our second son, Tanner, is a GA coach for the Wayland Baptist University Pioneers. They played Nelson University in Waxahachie on Saturday. It is the closest opponent to us all season and we have not seen Tanner since back in the summer for a couple of days, so we went to the game. 

There were all the usual pregame rituals. The teams warmed up. Starting lineups were introduced. The teams went to midfield for the coin toss. Then we stood for the opening prayer and the national anthem. I almost did not notice him. Seated one section over from us and down on the front row stood a silver haired senior adult man. While most of us stood with our hands over our hearts, he stood at attention saluting the flag. The sight of this man saluting the flag with the utmost respect moved me. I deduced that he must have been in the military at some point. 

The national anthem meant something more to him than to most in the stands that day. I contemplated the time he spent in the grind of basic training. I wondered if he was a combat veteran. Seeing this aged veteran not in the best of health, but still with fierce loyalty to this country was inspiring. Navigating the steps to sit higher seat was too difficult so he and his wife opted to sit on the front row. Not a very good vantage point to the see the game with people obscuring the view as they scurried back and forth to the bathroom and concession stand. His feeble body did not keep him from standing at attention saluting the flag in respect for this country. 

In that man's life span, I can only guess how he must feel watching the destructive implosion of the United States. A country whom he gave his allegiance. To defend the country against all enemies foreign or domestic. I do not see such respect for country among all people. 

Many that day stood up but did not hold their hands over their heart. In a country where athletes took a knee during the national anthem, this man was a stark contrast. His body may have aged long past his prime, but he stood proudly erect in honor of a flag that means a great deal to him. He did not care what other people thought about him. He was locked in. Solely focused on that waving flag on that October afternoon. He was totally oblivious to the fact that I was even watching him. He inspired renewed patriotism in me. 

The United States is not a perfect country. It is still my country. One I love. I still swear allegiance to the flag like I was taught to do in grade school. I am still grateful to be a citizen of this country and to fight for the soul of this nation in a spiritual battle. Like the old soldier, I too salute. I salute God first, family, His church, and my country. I do not want to take the blessing of being born in this nation for granted. It is a gift I want to treasure well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment