Monday, October 7, 2024

I Don't Have Any Faith

 Those were the words spoken by Nancy (not her real name) yesterday afternoon at our 1Way detox ministry. Her full quote was, " I don't have any faith. I don't know where to go to get this faith. I don't where to begin." She was hard. Yesterday was the first time I met her. My co-worker told me she came once when I was out of town. She did not know where to find Bible passages. We had to give her page numbers. She listened but her statement made me think she had never been saved. 

To address her question, we did an overview of the Bible from creation to the resurrection. We hit the high points from Genesis through Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. We finished up that overview with the Roman road. She was ready to be saved. Jesus had softened her heart and enlightened her to gospel truth. She asked Jesus to save her. When she finished praying, her countenance changed. In addition, three people around her also asked Jesus to save them too. 

I want to state without reservation that Roman 1:14-16 is true.         

          14       I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish. 

          15      So, for my part, I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome. 

          16      For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 

New American Standard Bible: 1995 Update (La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation, 1995), Ro 1:14–16.

I was an eyewitness to the power of God for salvation through the simple gospel message. Sin was revealed and revolted. Resistance was shoved aside in favor of repentance. Jesus took some addicts with sordid pasts and made them clean. I am not suggesting they will never sin or never battle addiction again. I am saying they are forgiven and now children of God. 

I have seen Jesus save many. Individuals and masses. Yesterday was unique. This one woman hung on every word of the Bible overview. The word of God came alive in her heart. I have seldom witnessed a person more eager to ask Jesus to save them. She prayed out loud without shame. I kid you not her countenance changed. One resident said, "Look she is glowing." I hope the Lord keeps letting me see things like that. 

She may have started with no faith and not knowing where to go to get such faith. She sure has it now. Faith starts with a relationship with Jesus. She told me later she grew up Pentecostal. When she was not filled with the Holy Spirit evidenced by speaking in tongues, she became bitter at God and drifted into a life of sin. God brought her into His family yesterday. She is leaving on Tuesday. She is not leaving the same. She is a new creation now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment