Thursday, October 10, 2024

Amazing Grace

 I guess if you talk to many of the older generation, the majority will say among their favorite old hymns Amazing Grace is at or near the top. The words of that classic anthem are timeless. They have been sung in worship services, revival meetings, camps, and funerals. 

The grace of God is truly amazing. I will be the first to admit that life has hardships and sorrows. If were really honest, don't we have it better than we deserved? God has not allowed us to always experience the full potential consequences of our sin. Where He could have poured out wrath, He often pours out grace instead. It is understandable how John Newton could feel so overwhelmed by the grace of God. He wrote these words and ministered to millions through them. 

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind, but now I see
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace, my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed
When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun
Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind, but now I see

 I feel the weight of those words penned by a former slave ship captain who knew about sin. God washed Newton in the tide of His loving grace bringing him safely ashore to salvation. God found the captain of the high seas and made Him a vessel testifying of amazing grace. Undeserved. Unmerited. Unattainable except by faith. Always amazing. 

This grace comforts and relieves fears of eternal damnation. This unmerited favor of God is held precious by those whom Jesus has saved. Not just an adequate grace, but an amazing grace. So amazing that we will never tire of rejoicing and praising God for it even after 10,000 years of practicing. It is a chorus we will sing for all eternity. 

Sometimes amid the hustle and bustle of life it is easy to forget about this amazing grace. When we win victory after victory and are soaring on high it is easy to forget what wretches we are. Just when we are riding high, we can blow it. A careless word. A sinful action. A moral mishap. A blatant blunder of God's laws. We all do it. We all fall and sin. We all fall short. In those moments it is both comforting and reassuring that God still loves us and still lavishes grace on us. 

I know it has been said countless times down through the ages. Others have said it far more eloquently than I can. It has been the theme of books, sermons, studies, and songs. His grace is still amazing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment