Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Lost And Found

 I lost my keys to the house. I searched everywhere I could think. I looked in the pockets of clothing. I looked on the kitchen counter top, bathroom counters, and table tops. I went through the closet, searched in my truck, looked in the office. I rummaged on top of the dresser. All to no avail. Then I repeated checking everything even more closely but ending up with the same result. 

It dawned on me I needed to text my son not to lock the door so I could get back in the house later today. I recalled that I wore a pair of athletic shorts briefly last afternoon. I was sure that is where I would find my lost keys. I scurried to the house to check in those shorts believing when I picked them up that I would hear the jingle of the keys. When I pushed my hand through the pocket I came up empty handed. 

I went back to the office remembering a task Brenda asked me to do. I knew I would forget it if I did not do it right away. On my way back I prayed, "Lord, You know exactly where those keys are located. I ask You to reveal it to me."

As quick as a flash, I remembered yesterday afternoon dumping a handful of trash from the car into the trash can in the kitchen. My hands were full. I heard some keys fall into the trash. I dug in and saw my car keys nestled in a piece of plastic and retrieved them. After that short prayer, the thought came to go back and check the trash. Which I did and behold, the house keys sat in the same piece of plastic. 

It is a reminder that God desires us to live in conversational prayer with Him. He wants to be a part of our everyday lives. Not just the devotional moments or the corporate worship gatherings. I am reminded that if God can reveal something so trivial as revealing where lost keys are located, He can also reveal so much more. 

I spent a little time in the prayer room this morning. More listening than asking. Several distinct impressions formed for other people in there. For each person a different impression came to me. One  battling fear. One battling disease. One fighting discouragement. Another wrestling with bitterness. A friend heavy laden. A person needing salvation. I laid each before the Lord and felt impressed what I needed to do to follow up with each one. I made phone calls and sent texts. God knows. He chooses to connect us with those in need around us. 

If God can reveal where lost keys can be found, He can also impress on us how to pray and minister to other people for what they are going through. He can also weigh on us those who are lost and under conviction to be saved. He can alter a sermon, change an order of worship, prompt the body of Christ to minister to one another through prayer and encouragement. 

We are good at asking God for things. We are not near so good at listening. I need God to lead me. I need His guidance in my life and ministry. You do too. Make listening a life long habit. I assure you, what He wants to reveal to you is much more important than you what you have to say to Him. He just might show you where you lost your keys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment