Monday, April 12, 2021

A Night of Affirmation

 We enjoyed a special evening at Spring Creek last night. A year ago I warned the people such a night would come. After much prayer, I sensed very strongly that last night was the night. A night to encourage, to build up, to affirm our love and appreciation for people in our flock. 

The concept was very simple. After worship, I got up to preach like normal. I knew there was nothing normal about this night. I asked God to have His way through the Spirit. I shared briefly from the Bible. Therefore, encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing. [I Thess 5:11]. After a few brief comments I spelled out the purpose of the evening. 

I told the congregation that we were going to spend the evening encouraging and building one another up. The guidelines included moving a chair to the center near the communion table. People would be nominated to sit in the chair. The church would shower them with words of love and affirmation by saying, "I love you because...." The only thing the person could say in response sitting in the chair was, "Thank you." 

Then the night of affirmation began. I did well nodding in approval at what people said to one another. I had purposed not to say anything. I did not want to fall into the trap of saying something for one and not another and someone getting their feelings hurt. That all fell by the wayside when somebody nominated Brenda to sit in that chair. She walked up reluctantly never wanting to be in the spotlight. 

Others spoke to my bride and as they did the tears started forming in my eyes. Soon those tears trickled down my cheeks. I knew I had to say something, but each time I was about to I would either get choked up or someone else would talk. Sitting their looking at my wife of nearly 30 years brought a flood of thoughts, more tears and emotions. In that moment I knew I loved her more than I ever had before. 

Finally, I choked the broken words to her. Love for loving a so rough around the edges person and want to be preacher back in college. I thanked her for believing in me when I did not believe in myself. I thanked her for following all my dreams, many of which failed miserably. I thanked her for the many times she has prayed for me during tormented Saturday nights when I had no direction of what to preach after a week of searching. Before I was through, we were both in tears. 

I had barely gotten myself together when she nominated our youngest son Turner to sit in that chair. He was much more stoic than me. The church showered him with love and he accepted it without much show of emotion. I knew I had to say something. When I started talking, the tears started flowing. I spoke deep things to Turner I wish I had heard a father say to me but never received. I grew up without a father and have felt the sting of that pain until I met God has my Father. I hope those words sunk deep into his heart. In essence I told him how proud of him for the great attitude he has had with several knee injuries. I also told him how proud I am of his stand for Jesus than any athletic accomplishment. 

In retaliation for having such a night, Turner nominated me to sit in that chair. A church I love heaped love and praise on me. Much of it undeserved. They talked about my preaching. Inside I voiced prayers deflecting all the praise to God for I know He reveals His word to me, puts passion and anointing in me to preach it. It is not me. People talked about what a good man I am and I prayed confessing before God silently we both knew the truth of my sinfulness and that I am nothing apart from Christ. Some talked about how they needed me as a pastor when we came. They just did not know how desperate Brenda and I been for years and how Spring Creek was an answer to thirty years of desire and longing. They took a chance on me and have loved my family with words and actions. It is a delight to serve them. 

Others talked about how I had grown the church. I revolted inside hearing such talk again praying silently, "God I know You are the One growing this church. It is not me. You are doing it. You are saving and drawing people. You are working here. You deserve all the glory. It is not me."

It was a very powerful night. We ended the evening by challenging the people to go to at least two other people in the room who had not been called to the chair to express love to them. The first person I went to got surrounded with three others before I arrived. I stood in the back of the room and watched the church ministering love and life to one another. It thrilled my soul. 

We will do it again some Sunday night. It may be months or even years. There will be another night when we will spend an evening loving each other. Another night dedicated to affirmation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment