Monday, April 12, 2021

An Unexpected Lesson

From time to time I walk into the kitchen and whip up creations of my fanciful imaginations. I did that recently with a stir fry dish. I threw in broccoli, cabbage, garlic, jalapeƱos, purple onion, green bell pepper, mushrooms and just about every spice in the cabinet. I topped it off with some soy sauce and rice and enjoyed a sumptuous feast. 

I had no idea that God had a lesson for me and Turner in that dish. Days passed without my even thinking of it. Then the revelation came. It happened while I drove to the office one morning. One of the things I threw in that stir fry was mustard seeds. I had never had them and figured it could only add to the flavor of that dish. I am ashamed to admit it never crossed my mind that Jesus used mustard seeds as an object lesson about faith. Not until He reminded me on that commute. 

... truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed you will say to this mountain,"Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. [Matt 17:20]

I picked up one of those tiny mustard seeds and held it in my hand later. I gave one to Turner just before his district track meet. He took the whole jar to his team and gave the jar to his coach and talked about God doing impossible things in response to mustard seed faith. Turner and I both had mustard seed faith he would finish his race fast enough to qualify for the area round meet. God helped him run his fastest time of the year and he qualified fourth to advance to the area round. Now we hang onto mustard seed faith believing that nothing is impossible with God. That God will run through Him again to glorify Himself. It is not about Turner. It is about God showing a watching world what He can do through a person with mustard seed faith. We are believing God to help Turner run fast enough to advance to the regional round track meet. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD. 

Faith just the size of a teensy tiny mustard seed. Just that little dab of faith can heap a whole helping lot of the power of God. 

Maybe your situation is not running track for which you need God's help. There is never a shortage of things to trust God to do. God can do so much with so little. Mustard seed faith can save the lost, heal the sick, comfort the broken hearted, inspire dreams for the future, provide for needs and if my faith is strong enough, help you through reading this blog for whatever you are facing. Just a minuscule mustard seed of faith can do so much. 

I had someone share a prayer request with me earlier this morning. Surely mustard seed faith can see that God honoring request answered. 

Go ahead. Go to the kitchen. Take out your jar of mustard seeds. Pick up one. Then ask God to give you that much faith for the mountains you need Him to move on your behalf. Dare to believe that nothing is impossible with Him. I sit anxiously on the edge of my seat to see what God will do for you. This is a thrilling unfolding drama. 

Jesus,  I ask You to show up and to show off Your power to a watching world doing impossible things. All glory to You and You alone. In Your name Jesus, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment