Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Surprise Visitor

 I sat deeply engrossed in work in the office when I heard a knock on the front doors. We keep them locked during the day for security reasons. The knocks got louder and more frequent. I could not believe my eyes when I saw my surprise visitor standing at the door. It was Bob Harper and a lady I did not know. 

For many of you Brother Bob needs no introduction. For those who do not know him let me introduce you. Bob Harper served as the pastor of Spring Creek Baptist Church for 14 years. Hundreds of people were saved. Under his leadership the church outgrew their facilities built our present sanctuary and Family Life Center. I got to serve as a youth pastor under him 30 years ago. We connected over our love for reading and love for revival. Brother Bob had a library of nearly 15,000 books! He gave me many of those books over the years. I used to sneak into this office and read some of his books when he was not there. I never took them from the office but got lost hour after hour in glorious reading and study. I still refer to this office as Brother Bob's office. 

He has been in a retirement home for some time. His wife Patsy died several years ago. I could not believe he was out visiting his wife's grave and the church he pastored so faithfully. Due to the pandemic he had not been out of that care facility in over a year. He walked into his old office mesmerized by all the books in here. We went into the sanctuary and he told story after story. I could see his mind whirling with all the good times. He walked a little shaky with a walker. The lady was a former parishioner from the second church Brother Bob pastored about as long as he served Spring Creek. 

It was a beautiful walk down memory lane. I showed him several places where we have updated the facilities. I told him he could have any book in my library. He forgot and did not take one. Periodically I take him reading material. He is still raving over the past selections I took him about Martin Luther and Charles Finney. 

Just before they left Brother Bob said something sobering. He told me he had given a copy of his obituary to another lady with a copy to give to me. Some years ago he told me he wanted me to preach his funeral. Then he commented he thought the Lord would take him soon. The statement shocked me. 

I walked outside with them both and watched him slowly meander to the car parked near the cemetery. I had work to do but I chose to stand outside until they drove away. He parted with his customary words, "If I don't see you again down here I will see you up there." I replied, "Absolutely." 

It saddened me to see him walk away. The next time he gets to come inside this sanctuary could very well be in a casket. It saddens me to even to write that. He has impacted so many lives. He is a people person. He didn't go to Bible college but is as learned as any of those in academia. He is still an avid reader. He and I can get lost in talking about revival for hours. 

I hope his prophetic prediction that the Lord might take him soon is not true. Selfishly I want to glean some more from him. I want to honor him. I want the chance to continue to shepherd him like he did for so many over the years. I praise God for such a man. I thank God for his surprise visit today. What a blessing for us both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment