Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Take the Stairs

I determined that I would take the stairs on the way out entering the parking garage. The first level was reserved. The second level was full and the third and the fourth... I did not realize it at the time, but I finally found a parking space on the sixth level. 

I took the elevator down and contemplated the journey up six flights of stairs would not be near as easy as the ride down to the ground floor. I made my visit and then purposely walked back past the elevators to the parking garage to the stairs. I put my head down resolutely and started stepping up. 

By the third floor, I could feel the burning in my thighs. By the fourth level I was winded. Breathing became heavier and faster on flights five and eventually six. It took me all the way to the car before I began breathing somewhat normal again. Why take the stairs when the elevator is so much easier. 

I have been taking the stairs for years. It a reminder of two things. One, that I'm young enough in my mind to keep doing it. I feel it more now in my knees than I used to. My body is still able to do it, so I choose to push it. One time I had to park on the tenth level. I didn't think I would ever catch my breath that day. I guess I need to put in some cardio work. I am headed that way when I finish writing this. 

The second reason I take the stairs and the main reason, is to remind me everything in life is not easy. All things do not come easily. We have a whole generation of people who do not understand this. They want the degree but not the discipline of academic study to earn the degree. They want the promotion but not the extra work that comes with extra compensation and responsibility. They want the championship without putting in the grinding work in the weight room and practice fields. They want the big church without cutting their teeth in the small country churches. 

Younger generations want to buy their caps and jeans already wore out. Older generations got that worn look by working in their caps and jeans. By the sweat of their brow they wore out caps leaving sweat stains. They wore holes in their breeches by countless hours of hard labor. Younger generations like the look but want to avoid the hard stuff. 

Newsflash. Serving Jesus is hard! It requires faith steps. II Cor 5:7 He calls people to sacrifice. II For 9:6-7 He leads people out of their comfort zones. Gen 12:1-2 He teaches His followers to deny themselves and take up their cross. Matt 16:24 He asks us to share with those in need. Acts 2:42-47 He calls us to stand in the gap for people. Ez 22:30 He demands we give ourselves to serous and diligent study of His word. Acts 2L42 He tells us to go into all the world to make disciples. Mattt 28:19-20 Acts 1:8 None of these things are easy. It is not easy to join a church and be asked to serve in some capacity instead of just sitting and soaking like a pickle in pickle jar. 

So I take the stairs. I accept the challenge. I remind myself that life is not easy and everything Jesus demands is not easy. If you are able, I recommend you too take the stairs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment