Sunday, April 18, 2021

Surprised By Worship

 Brenda and I arrived early for Devon's funeral in a spacious auditorium seating around 1,200 people yesterday morning. I was surprised to learn that one of my preaching pals would be preaching part of the service. People poured in. Mostly young people. Devon and her husband have impacted many young couples. I saw very few empty seats on the main floor once the service started. 

We watched a short video that showed part of Devon's personality with her and her husband dancing at what they called Nerd Night. Afterward, my friend got up and preached about her faithful witness and love for Jesus. Then they played a song I had never heard. We sat near the back, but up front I could clearly see Devon's husband standing alone. Nobody else stood. I watched him closely and listened to the words of the song even more closely. What I saw next absolutely blew me away. 

Josh lifted his hands in worship with his wife's dead body lying in the casket just a feet away. It stirred me deeply. It also stirred others. Eventually a few others started standing around the room lifting their hands and singing in worship. Before long it caught others up on their feet and people began to sing. Incredible is not the right word, but I cannot think of another. I saw pure, spontaneous worship sparked by a grieving husband knowing his wife is not really dead but more alive now than she has ever been. 

It moved the second pastor as well. He openly wept as he came to preach. The service ended with the song, Ain't No Grave Gonna Hold This Body Down. I love that song. I got caught up in worship as I stood with the rest and sang a song triumph along with most everyone else in the room. I have never seen that at a funeral. NOT EVER. Devon is not dead. She is alive and well in the presence of Jesus. Her body will one day rise again and resurrect to her in a glorified state. HALLELUJAH. 

I am still deeply moved by Josh's faith. I have never met him. I only met Devon once. Josh's love for Jesus, his unwavering faith, and his resolve to worship even in his pain inspires me greatly. The picture is etched in my mind of him standing alone in a crowded auditorium completely surrendered to the will of God and worshipping in the most horrific of circumstances. Would you and I do the same?

In those moments, I kept thinking to myself, "Cancer did not win! Jesus won. Devon and Josh's faith in God won." The kingdom of God won as I know some trusted Jesus as Savior in that service. Devon requested that a gospel invitation be given in the funeral service.

I left that service uplifted. My preacher friend made his first remarks saying, "This is a celebration of life." I may not have felt like celebrating when I arrived, but I sure did before we left. I admit it. I was surprised by worship. Surprised by the faith and resolve of a grieving husband to lift his shattered heart to the King of the Ages in praise much like Job gave in Job 1:20-21 when he heard about the death of his ten children. Job fell down and worshipped. Josh stood alone and worshipped. Both examples inspire me to worship in the hardest times. Thank you Josh and God for surprising me with worship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment