Monday, March 22, 2021

Life In The Fast Lane

 For two weeks I have lived life in the fast lane. I did not have much time with my family as I dashed from one project to another. In between all of that, I squeezed in a preaching trip to west Texas and returned hitting the ground running. Everything felt rushed. Including devotion times. My mind kept spinning with all that needed to be done. 

I did not go to bed one time during that season accomplishing everything I wanted to get done. I simply ran out of time and energy. Today has been much different. A day of rest. A day to recalibrate. A day to intentionally slow down. To take a sabbath. To refresh and enjoy renewal before hitting the ground running again. 

Many are overworked, over stressed, and over fatigued. They keep going. Some do not have a choice. Others do it purposefully. They cannot slow themselves down. God has a way of doing it. He can slow us down with set backs like winter storms or health crisis. I would prefer to have the wisdom to listen and do what He commands. To remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. A day devoted to worship and rest. 

The Sabbath has become just like any other day. A day to work. A day to play ball. A day not to rest. A day to catch up on chores. It is not supposed to be that way. It will catch up with people sooner or later. In the forms of burn out, stress, ulcers, and spiritual dryness. Some hearts look more like a desert than an oasis of flowing living water. 

I am not against living in the fast lane. I am against burning ourselves out because we give and give never stopping to get replenished. I hope you will do that soon. Stop. Replenish with the Lord. Pause. Rest. Take Sabbath. Living what I am preaching today. I hope you will do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment