Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Then She Prayed

 For many years, I have found inspiration through suffering saints. My shelves are lined with biographies of those who suffered. I am currently reading a book about persecuted believers. Their tenacious faith, endless courage, and their persevering grit move me. 

I just wrote about a very sick lady facing several health issues visiting our church this past Sunday evening. The sound of people praying over her sounded as beautiful as any worship music you can imagine. I love the sound of the people petitioning God for help in the sanctuary. It is a sacred sound to these ears. 

Both men and women interceded for this sick sister. Many prayed in broken tears. Some prayed quietly. Others prayed loudly and forcefully. I heard deacons praying in tears. Those prayers moved me as I prayed for others before getting to the sick lady. 

Then I heard a sound that stopped me in my tracks. The sick lady started praying for all of us. In her weakened voice, she prayed through her sufferings for all of us. She did not focus on herself. She pleaded with the Father to help and bless those gathered around praying for her. 

If her prayers give a window into her soul, her faith is strong. Her love for Jesus is intense. She is no stranger to prayer. Listening to her moved and still moves me. She has faced set back after set back. One bad doctor report after another. One bad day of not feeling well on top of another. Yet her focus remained on other people. It took great effort for her to attend. She just recently got home from the hospital. She did not use that as an excuse not to attend. She may have come to receive from God but she ended up giving in addition to receiving. 

A holy hush fell over the congregation as she started praying. We all knew we were experiencing one of those holy ground moments. I can't describe the scene for you. I cannot recreate the atmosphere. You would have had to be there to know what I am writing about. 

The prayers of that suffering saint were the highlight of the evening for this preacher. God used her to inspire me and to challenge me to pray harder for her healing. I wish God would use any prayer I pray publicly like He used her prayer for us in my life. Selfless, faith filled, fervent, humble, bold, and powerful. May God teach all of us to pray that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment