Wednesday, September 25, 2019

The Smile of God

I left long before sun came up on a ministry trip yesterday. I had hundreds of miles to travel alone in a car. Not too far out I caught a glimpse in my eye up in the sky. A rainbow. Beyond that on the horizon I could lightning illuminating the clouds. Soon the rain fell.

My trip went perfectly. It seemed to me God went before me every step of the way. That's what God does. I made good time. I got to do my ministry appointment at the perfect time. Unexpectedly it worked out for me to eat lunch with some former parishioners. A great day.

God had something extra special in mind when I made the trip back home. When I got twenty minutes from home, it started raining. Then I saw it again. The most picture perfect rainbow I have ever seen in my 53 years. Vibrant colors displayed in the full bow. I could make out all the colors as one faded into the next. It felt like God smiling on me and the ministry trip I made.

I had to worship in my heart. I thanked God for His safety. I thanked him for the car working perfectly. I thanked Him for provision to make the trip. I thanked Him for the schedule working out to minister like it did. I thanked God that two families just happened to be in the town where I went, both for doctor's appointment to the same doctor near the same time, so we could all enjoy lunch together. I thanked God for the blessing of them treating me to lunch. Both families lived over an hour from where we met. Only God could have orchestrated that. God blessed keeping me alert for the trip home. I felt the smile of God from the start to the end. The rainbows served as bookends of that smile at the beginning and the ending of my travels. I do not take such blessings for granted.

May His smile fall on you today wherever you are and whatever you are doing. May you be in tune with Him enough to take notice when you receive it. His mercies are new every morning.

Lamentations 3:22-23 (ESV)
22  The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end;
23  they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.



No comments:

Post a Comment