Friday, September 20, 2019

I Lost A Friend Yesterday

I got a message just about the time I headed home from the office that I lost a friend yesterday. The message read, "We lost her today about 6:30 p.m."

Let me give you the backstory. About a year and a half ago I was in my office at Heritage Baptist Church when I heard a car pull up outside. When I looked out the window the person could not find the right door to get in the building and was about to leave. When I opened the door a middle aged lady stepped into my office saying she needed to talk to a pastor. She was saved. She was also burdened for her once lesbian sister who had terminal cancer. She was unsure if her sister had accepted Christ.

So began a friendship with Shirley and her terminally ill sister Cindy. I recall the first time I met Cindy. I made an appointment to go by and meet with her and Shirley. I am sure none of us really knew what to expect. Cindy was small in stature and looked frail. We sat around the dining table and talked. We got to know one another. Trust was slowly built. We had prayer and I assured them I would be back. Things did not get too heavy during that meeting. Over the months I visited at other times, called and texted her consistently. I texted Cindy scripture and kept praying for her.

They came to Heritage one Sunday morning. I got so excited when I saw them. It made my day. I don't remember what I preached that morning but Cindy came forward for prayer. Tearfully she shared her heart. I treasure that time. She talked to me about baptism. They never attended again because her health declined rapidly after that.

One day I felt impressed to go visit with her. I did not know it at the time, but it would be the last time I would ever see Cindy. God orchestrated it where Shirley was gone so Cindy and I got to talk surrounded by all their dogs. In the course of our conversation, I got to clearly present the gospel to her. She listened intently. In the end she said she had trusted Christ years ago.

Both sisters had some baggage. They were abused repeatedly as little girls. Horrific abuse I don't care to go into. As little girls they were drug into bars by alcoholic parents. They became addicted to alcohol and drugs in later years. Shirley got saved and delivered through a local church and recovery program they sponsored. Cindy told me that last day I visited with her the only way she could have ever gotten off drugs was through Jesus.

The next thing I knew Shirley and Cindy informed me they moving to Corpus Christi where they were both from. Cindy knew she was dying and wanted to be closer to friends. For the last several months the only contact I have had with her is some phone conversations and texts.

Cindy struggled with God's forgiveness because of all she had done. The last verse I ever sent her was II Cor 5:21.I prayed she would rest in the sufficiency of Christ and His atonement for her. I think it was hard for to believe that God would forgive her.

When I heard the news I was saddened for a moment especially for Shirley. I got to talk to her briefly on the phone. I asked if Cindy found peace in the end. While her death was not an easy one, she did say Cindy had peace and now has it forever.

Getting to befriend Cindy and Shirley is something I treasure. Our friendship never was based on whether they would come worship with us or not. We loved one another. We developed trust over time. I had the chance to share God's liberating truth with them. No pretense. No sugar coating the truth. Mutual love.

I talked to Cindy right after she moved back to Corpus Christi. They were at the beach taking in the sun and the waves. She said it made her feel alive. The last time I talked to her she could barely speak.

I titled this, "I Lost A Friend Yesterday." That really is an incorrect title. She is not lost. Shirley and I both know where to find her. Her righteousness and forgiveness are wrapped up in Jesus.

2 Corinthians 5:21 (ESV)
21  For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment