Friday, February 4, 2022

White Blanket

 It doesn't happen often. Especially in Texas. It snowed here yesterday and the temperatures will not rise above freezing for another 24 hours. A white blanket of snow covers the land. It is both beautiful and symbolic. 

I cannot help but think about a scripture. Come now, and let us reason together," says the Lord. "Though your sins are as scarlet, they will be white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they will be like wool." [Is 1:18]

Just like the white snow has covered dirt, grass, leaves, and even road bases. It the same way the blood of Jesus covers our sins when we trust Him for salvation. Our polluted, filthy, defiled hearts can be covered in a blanket of white forgiveness. What a beautiful reminder. 

It is true that snow and ice can be inconvenient. I have only left the house the last two days to make the few steps from the house to my office. There were no other footsteps in the pure snow until last night, for I saw a few new ones this morning indicating someone else showed up. Other than that, we have been camped in the house. I had to unfortunately call to inform a family in West Texas that I would be unable to travel out there to participate in a funeral on Saturday. Numerous wrecks have occurred. Schools and businesses have closed. Recreational sports leagues have suspended games for this weekend. 

The beautiful reminder that God takes our scarlet sins and and turns them white as snow is unfathomable. I have preached the gospel for over 30 years now. I am still humbled and amazed by His amazing grace as I contemplate the centrality of the cross. I have never gotten over what Jesus did for me at the cross. How He transferred me from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of light. How He clothed me in righteousness. He willingly suffering the punishment for my sinful offenses. What other king would do that for his subjects? Jesus willingly did that for all who trust Him. Scarlet sins forgiven and turned white still humbles me with gratitude and deep affectionate love for my Savior. 

It also does something else. It makes me want to serve Him more. To pray more. Read His word more. Study more. Write more. Evangelize more. Preach more. Teach more. To work harder not less. Not to try to earn my salvation. That can never be done. We are saved by grace and not by works. [Eph 2:8-9] No. I want to serve more not to earn salvation, but in gratitude. I do it strictly out of appreciation for a Savior who gave everything for me, I want to give my everything back in service for Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment