Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Walking Into The Interior

Of all the titles and roles I am called to fill, one holds special affection for me. Pastor. It is true some might call me a preacher, author, a person of prayer, or even coach. The role that means the most to me is pastor. 

 I remember telling Spring Creek when they interviewed us before the church that initially when a church calls a new pastor, they are calling a new preacher. It takes time to earn the right to become a pastor for people. I cherish the Sunday evening about a year later when a man recounted my saying that and exhorted that I had earned the right to be his pastor before the congregation. 

As a pastor/shepherd, people give you permission to walk into the interior of their lives. Like when they are sick and hospitalized. Like when they or a family member is approaching death. Like when people go through divorce. Like when the trials of life weigh them down and they just need to talk about it for awhile. Like when hurting and confused people come for counsel. 

You can be a preacher and have no relationship with the people. You can proclaim Bible truth while keeping your distance and never fully engaging with the people you are preaching to. A true pastor builds relationships. He cares far beyond the sermon. He prays for the flock entrusted to him. He loves. He cares about the people. He is involved with them. He seeks to spend time with members new and old. 

It is an honor to walk into the interior of someone's life. I will be leaving Friday for a funeral in West Texas the following Saturday of a beloved former church member's mother. It is an honor to be invited to participate in this service. I may not be this family's formal pastor anymore but, how can I stop ever caring and shepherding people I love. Someone will soon come by the office for some counseling. It is an honor to try to help them. To comfort someone broken and heavy hearted. 

I have wept with people in tragedies. I have rejoiced with others in celebratory times. I have walked through the long dark road of addiction, depression, poverty, and sorrow. I have listened to hopes and dreams, comforted during failure, built up in low times and been inspired by triumphs. I've hugged people at gravesides. Stood before them at the marriage altar. Prayed beside hospital beds and next to death beds. 

People need more than a preacher. They need a pastor. Someone to go into the interior of their lives and love them. They need a shepherd to walk with them through the valley of the shadow of death. They long for a confidante to unload their sinful failures onto without being shamed or condemned. Jesus is the Great Shepherd. I am but an under shepherd. I watch out for His flock entrusted to my care. It is His church. His people. I am humbled and honored to be invited into the interior of people's lives. A privilege I do not take for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment