Thursday, February 3, 2022

Party in the Office

 It does not happen often. A perfect day. A snow day where the roads are shut down and where I get to spend time in the office with a bunch of my friends. We are throwing a party. They are crammed in here wall to wall. A welcome sight for this parson. I have the whole day with them. To enjoy their company and to benefit from their wisdom. 

Brenda is at home busying herself with several projects. Taylor is working on school stuff in preparation for teaching. They would not like this kind of party. One of theological discussions, mind bending truths examined and explored, and iron sharpening iron. It might surprise you to learn many of my guests are dead. I assure you I am not partying with ghosts. Those who know me well have already surmised that all this time I have been referring to books and authors. I just put down an 809 page book filled with inspiration. Such a book may intimidate some. When I got it, I cracked it open in the parking lot and read it long before I even started for. home. I could not contain my giddiness that day or this one. It may not be a fast read. It is a beneficial one. 

This is a perfect day to crack it open with pen in hand and read underlining meaningful sentences and phrases. I am surrounded by Charles Spurgeon, A.W. Tozer, Martin Luther, G. Campbell Morgan, Joseph Parker, George W. Truett, George Mueller, E.M. Bounds, my old companion Leonard Ravenhill, George Whitfield, D.L. Moody, Vance Havner, and many many more. What a perfect day to do two of my favorite things. To read and to write. Much of the time what I read sparks the thoughts about what I write. 

There are many people who do not read anymore. It does not fit in with our fast pace society. Some prefer to listen to a book rather than read one because of their schedules. Some prefer to read on some type  of electronic device. Not me. I like to hold a book in my hand. Some hundred of years old. I like the smell of the pages. The feel of the hard back covers. Those black letters printed on white pages dance before my eyes enticing me to dive in with them. I am drawn away in my imagination to times far away describing mighty exploits of God in the lives of others. It burns a passionate longing in me to experience those same types of God moving in my life and in this church. 

Many who do read never make it past the best selling section. I bypass that section and work my way to back corners and look for what I like to call treasures. Like this 809 page gem that has captured my attention the past couple of days. It was not located in the top 10 best sellers but, I suspect it will outlive them in longevity. Great books stand the test of time. This is a GREAT book. It is good to read some things written in another century. To get a different perspective. Before tackling this massive volume, my most recent readings had been in more modern books. I hardly wrote anything on this blog in January because I was not inspired. In just days of reading this new book, I have filled a legal pad page of multiple topics I want to write about sparked by something someone wrote or said hundreds of years ago. 

Today there is a party in my office. This is a rare day when I don't have other commitments pulling me away. No coaching. No meetings. No vista and no other appointments. Just me and my friends on the shelves. I have some uninterrupted time to read, meditate, and write. What a blessed day. I could not be more contented. What a day. I want to take full advantage of it. See you soon with the next inspirational thought from my readings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment