Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Unpleasant Paths

 Brenda and I were killing time at Hobby Lobby. Don't judge me. I actually like Hobby Lobby. I like the fact that it is a kingdom of God minded company. I love to let Brenda peruse down the aisles and shelves. I enjoy looking as well. It is a wholesome experience even though we don't always buy something. 

I drifted off by myself down an aisle when a sign caught my attention. I have rewound those words and meditated on them several times since then. Here are the words on the sign; "Unpleasant paths can often lead to very pleasant places."

I guess the reason I keep thinking about that sign is because I have lived and experienced that to be true. Consider the Edwards track record. Two failed church plants, two other declining churches that nearly disbanded, four sons, five torn ACLs and 6 knee surgeries, one other possible ACL tear and pending surgery, future knee replacements,  many travels, seasons of revival, authored numerous books, survived impoverished conditions, and currently serving in a very sweet spot among some wonderful people. 

There have been numerous unpleasant paths. Hearing doctors tell two of my sons five times in between them that they tore their ACL ending their high school seasons was very unpleasant and painful. I tried to stay strong for them but wept inwardly. The sting of the shock and unpleasantness of those knee issues have faded with time. One of those sons is playing football at Wayland Baptist University as a running back and special teams player. The other is recovering from his third knee surgery and rehabbing on the Lubbock Christian University track team where he will compete as a decathlete next year. Both of those sons have followed God through unpleasant experiences and are now are in pleasant places. 

After many long years of pastoral ministry, Brenda and I are serving and following God in the adventure of Spring Creek. God is moving. The church is growing. We are in love with the people. We have a bright future and a bold vision to pursue. We are at home. We belong here. It is delightfully sweet to serve God and the Spring Creek flock. We had to endure some difficult years to get here. There were many unpleasant seasons. I can say with confidence the sign I saw at Hobby Lobby is correct. Often unpleasant paths can lead to very pleasant places. That is true for the Edwards. I trust God make it true for you too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment