Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Choose Joy

 My intention was to encourage a couple going through a difficult time battling a terminal illness. The progression of the disease has reached a severe point. Due to the ongoing pandemic, I have been unable to make an in house visit is some months now. Each time we tried to schedule it someone else would get sick including me or someone in their family. 

So I sent some messages to encourage them both and let them know I love them. I really did not expect the response I got back. Facing incredible suffering here is the line that inspired this blog. "We trust in Jesus and choose joy." Trust and joy. Their world is getting a little smaller. There was a time when they were young and active especially in their church. They labored for Jesus multiple decades. 

Then they moved to Weatherford. They joined Spring Creek the same day my family did. They worshipped with us. Attended prayer meetings. They came to our first marriage conference. They brought joy to other people. Worked in VBS. The terminal disease progressed along with the pandemic and they stayed at home and worshiped online right along with us. That was nearly two years ago. They took communion when we took communion. They always commented they were watching and joining us Sunday morning, night and Wednesday nights. They would write something like, "We are joining you, or we are here with. you." They still found ways to minister to others from their home. 

Then their worlds shrunk even more. Other than doctor visits they did not leave the house much. Eventually it became more difficult to go outside. Then to even get around in the house. Without a miracle death will come. They are both staring it in the eyes. They have not sunk back in fear and unbelief. They are facing their future with courage, faith and yes joy. They still choose joy. 

I can think of times in my personal life when I faced much lesser challenges and I did not choose joy. I doubted more than I trusted. These two faithful stalwarts of the faith should inspire all of us. They are the personification of people who are followers of Jesus. Followers in every season of life. 

I think the phrase, "We choose joy," will stick with me for a long time. That same sentiment is echoed by Paul all throughout the book of Philippians. [Phil 3:1] [Phil 4:4] [Phil 4:10] Like John Bunyan, Paul wrote those words in prison. He had lost his freedom but still chose joy. Joy has nothing to do with our circumstances. 

It is so easy when things are not going well to choose anger, doubt, depression, bitterness, self pity, resentment, and to give up on God. It is a mark of maturity when facing adversity to intentionally choose joy anyway. What encouragement that little phrase gave me today. Maybe God will use it in your life too. Choose joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment