Friday, August 24, 2018

Unexpected Bumps

Life is filled with unexpected bumps. Things you didn't see coming. It happens to us all. One day you are cruising through life down smooth highways and suddenly a bump, a pothole, or an obstacle appears without warning. These unexpected bumps are inconvenient at the least and downright destructive at the worst.

Unexpected bumps like cancer, Alzheimers, divorce, betrayal, robbery, getting fired from a job, a fender bender, a broken appliance, strife in the home and the list could go on and on. When driving a car an unexpected bump can cause your front end to get out of alignment. This will cause the car to veer toward one side. As you compensate for this you steering the wheel in the opposite direction you put extra wear and tear on your tires. If not corrected it can destroy  tires prematurely. You are still able to drive. Yet if neglected the issue will cause further damage.

Unexpected bumps can cause us to get out of alignment too. Out of alignment in our communion with God. Out of alignment with faith. Out of alignment with other people. It did for me. I hit a couple of unexpected bumps in the road this week. Nothing life altering. Just a couple of  unforeseen bumps. Add to this a very busy few days putting in extra hours. On top of that add some fatigue and for extra measure some stress to top it off. All of it combined on top of the bumps in the road caused me to get out of alignment with myLord Jesus and my wife.

A quiet breakfast alone in prayer in a little hidden spot proved the perfect remedy. Some repentance, and apology got me back on track. Back in alignment. Back on course.

Has an unexpected bump in the road caused you to get out of alignment? An unexpected illness. An unforeseen financial set back. More demands at work. A fast and furious schedule with little down time to be still and know God. Are the effects of your misalignment impacting those around you? Does your attitude reflect a misalignment? Does the unexpected bump in the road feel more like a canyon due to fatigue and lack of devotions with Yahweh?

It happens. I don't know why we allow ourselves to get lulled to sleep into life without bumps. We get into a season like that and we forget bumps are inevitable. In the past three weeks here are just a few of our bumps. Three out of our four sons and to have their cell phones sent in for repairs in rapid fire succession. Twice we've had to make repairs on vehicles totaling over $700 unexpectedly. A family member had to go the ER. They were released and doing well now. There are other things I am not able to write about at this time. Nothing earth shattering. Just a bunch of little bumps. Little challenges. Little irritations. The cumulative effect on me caused me to get out of alignment for part of one evening and part of an early morning. Repentance got me back on track.

Yet I fool myself forgetting these things are part of life. I get used to a predictable routine and familiar path and when the bumps appear unexpectedly they often reveal the truth of my character. That I can doubt just as much as I can believe. I can lose heart just as easily as I can bravely endure. I can question why just as easily as I can question, "God, what are you trying to teach me and build in me?"

Jesus made it plain. He did not mince words. It is simple. A truth statement about unexpected bumps in the road and how to deal with them. How easily I forget what He said.

John 16:33 (NKJV)
33  These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

It's really simple. Look to Jesus and trust Him to maintain peace even when unexpected bumps come. Look at circumstances and tribulation like bumps and we will lose heart. We are to be of food cheer, or to put that another way, be of good courage. To bravely face the bumps. To NOT get misaligned. Perhaps today this is a reminder you need a front end alignment in faith and attitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment