Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Old - Advanced In Years

I am getting older. To some I am not old yet. They would classify me as middle aged. I am closer to getting AARP stuff in the mail than I've ever been before. My hair is thinning. I ache in my joints. I don't like venture climbing on top of ladders as much as I used to, especially over ten feet. So much of my ministry has been spent with aging people. I've watched with great interest the way people age.

Some age and give in and up. They do not feel well. They constantly battle health issues. They get tired of fighting and battling to feel better only to have another set back and then another. Sadly some of these people sour. They become bitter, grumpy and whiny. They are not pleasant to be around. They quit living and just exist.

There are other elderly people who accept old age in stride. Our minister of music is in his early 70's and yet he is a go getter. This past week he climbed under the stage to rewire a microphone pulling himself with his arms by the boards because there was not enough room to stand up. That should have been a job for a much younger man but not for Barry. He dove in. He works hard. He has proved a great blessing to our congregation. He still has much to offer and has waited for an opportunity to serve. Many thought he was too old.

I think of several elderly men who mow their church lawn every week and have done so for as long as I can remember. Faithful men like Jimmy, Rob, John and others. Again that is a job for much younger men. Not these men. They cut the grass, edge the sidewalks, trim the hedges and keep things looking sharp around there as volunteers. They get up early and have breakfast at the local cafe. Then the get to it. Several months out of the year you will find them on Thursday mornings at the FBC Paradise, TX mowing. This is the kind of work they do in their retirement.

I think of Dr. Bob and Nancy Eckert. They are in their 80's and yet they still host a Bible study each Saturday night in their home with much younger folks. They have lived by faith and served God faithfully for decades. Dr. Eckert is very active in his community speaking truth and discipling younger men in the faith. Brenda and I were privileged to meet them and to get to know them last year.

Joe is a very good friend of mine. He is in his early 80's. He still laughs, makes jokes, serves the Lord where He can and helped me mow not long ago. It was hot that August day here in Texas. That did not stop Joe. He wanted to help. He wants to serve. He keeps living and is already making plans for his annual trip to South Texas during the winter months. He is a man who looks forward and not backwards. We enjoy lunch with Joe and his beautiful bride Jan every week after worship.

I read about another aging man this morning. It got my attention.

Joshua 13:1 (NKJV)
1  Now Joshua was old, advanced in years. And the LORD said to him: "You are old, advanced in years, and there remains very much land yet to be possessed.

Joshua was old and advanced in years. What I love about this is God was not through with him. In America we have trained ourselves to believe that after 65 you are old.  you retire and have little value. I recently met a man they forced to retire in his mid seventies. He had not intention of quitting until they forced him out. Younger men foamed at the mouth wanting to get his job. You can retire and flutter your life away with travel, golf, shopping or just trying to make ends meet from month to month on a fixed income. I BEG YOU SHOW ME WHRE THERE IS EVER RETIREMENT FROM SERVING GOD. You will not find it. You can also retire in order to make yourself fully available to God. Your retirement years could be years filled with adventures of faith and service.

Joshua was old but God was not finished with him. He still had a purpose for Him to lead Israel to possess more of the promised land. How many senior adults still have much to give the Lord. How many musicians would still love to play the old songs of faith? How many vocalists still have a song to sing? How many craftsman still have the ability to build and construct and are looking for the opportunity. For years a group of retired men known as the Baptist Builders go around help churches frame and build new facilities as volunteers. They are using their retirement years for a greater purpose. Senior adults, God is not through with you. You still have valuable gifts and talents to be leveraged for the kingdom of God. PLEASE USE THEM. WE NEED YOU.

My pastor, though retired from my home church for several years now, still preaches every Sunday. He has been the interim pastor of several congregations since his retirement. Still faithfully proclaiming God's word. My great uncle Buddy still had fire in his soul and sermons to preach even in his last days. One of my last meetings with him was a prayer meeting. He got up off his knees and jumped in the air shouting, "Hallelujah," because he felt the fire in his soul. He was in his 80's I recall.

We cannot help aging. Is is the natural order of life. We get older. Our bodies change. That does not mean we have to quit living. I recently visited a retired widower preacher friend in an assisted living place. Brother Bob loved to read and learn. He once had a library of 10,000 books. Over the years he graciously gave me several volumes. On one of our visits he told me he missed studying. He longed for Dr. Martyn Lloyd Jones commentaries on the book of Romans so he could study again. It just so happened I had several volumes of that very commentary. On my next visit I brought them to Brother Bob as a gift. He noticed them in my arms immediately exclaiming, "I recognize those books!" When I left he began pouring over those books and his Bible. He is in his 80's and still is hungry to learn.

I don't care if you are old and advanced in years. If you are still here there is work for you to do. You may argue you are not physically able to do anything. Not even able to get out of the house. You can pray. I heard the story about a man homebound who devoted himself to prayer. Night and day he interceded for his community and the nation. When he died and they carried his body out of the house it was the first time he had been outside in 12 years. That faithful servant still fulfilled the purpose of God through prayer. You can do that. Some are able to do more. Much more.

Fast forward several years in Joshua's life. Read for yourself.

Joshua 23:1 (NKJV)
1  Now it came to pass, a long time after the LORD had given rest to Israel from all their enemies round about, that Joshua was old, advanced in age.

If Joshua was old and advanced in years in chapter 13 he was much older and more advanced in years in chapter 23. A long time after God gave rest to Israel. I don't know how many years transpired between chapters 13 and 23. I know Joshua kept serving and possessing more promised land. Then after a long time when they had rest from their enemies God got ready to take Joshua into eternity.

The same will happen to you and me. Some are old and advanced and not prepared. They have never trusted Jesus as their Savior. They are hardened and set in their ways. When they die they will go to hell fire and suffer forever. Their lives will end tragically in eternal damnation. Others aging have served God and continue to do so. They will die and hear their God say, "Well done good and faithful servant. Well done." Which will happen for you in the end?

No comments:

Post a Comment