Tuesday, August 21, 2018

A Word In Season

We had a busy weekend. And most of our busyness had nothing to do with the start of football season or school. Busy in ministry. I fell asleep early last night exhausted after a full weekend and preaching  along with teaching.

At 2:45 a.m. God gave me a wake up call. My initial reaction was to stay in bed. I even turned over on my side and pulled the covers up snug closing my eyes. God is persistent. He would not be ignored. He has His ways to get our attention. He got mine in a clear and undeniable way. I knew what it meant. Time in the secret place.

My attitude was not great. My flesh preferred to have my head resting on my pillows snuggled under the covers in sweet slumber. I confessed that attitude. Soon He had me engaged in prayer. I poured out my burdens. I cried out for more of Him. To be honest I also doubted. I am not proud of it. I confessed my doubts.

God met me in a profound way. In 18 verses God spoke the same two strong words of admonition four different times. If I had been sleep walking through that devotion I would have had a hard time missing His message for me today.

I paused to muse on the fact that God woke me up because He had something to say to me. Something planned and set aside for me on this day before I was even born. It was not coincidence that I left off my previous Bible reading where I did and picked up the Bible reading where I did, and just as importantly, when I did.

God's word proved to be a word in season. A perfect word for what I needed. A word to drive away my doubts. A word to hang onto for many days to come. A word to strengthen A word to comfort. A word to encourage. A word to challenge. All of that coming out of one short Bible reading.

I am thankful for words in season. This morning was not my first experience with such. It has happened numerous times over the years. A perfect word for specific situations. That is my prayer for you today. I want you to seek God wholeheartedly and trust Him to speak a word in season for you. I don't know what you need to hear but He does. He knows what you are facing. He knows what you need.

Many years ago I started reading the Bible through. I tried some of those read the Bible through in a year programs. That did not work for me. I found myself distracted by trying to keep up or falling behind and trying to catch up. I did not get much out of those readings. So I started reading at my own pace. Starting in Genesis and systematically reading all the way through to Revelation. When I finish I start over.

In my mind it makes the word in season all the more amazing. I could have just as easily read those verses yesterday morning. They would not have meant as much to me yesterday. God had it preserved for today when I needed it the most. He will do the same for you if you give yourself to diligently reading His word. Words in season await you.

No comments:

Post a Comment