Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Mobile

71% of people who read these posts do so from their cell phone. Out of those, 74% do so from an I-phone. We live in a mobile society of instant communication and information. I found those statistics about this website shocking and interesting.

I seldom use my phone for such purposes. I do not enjoy reading lengthy documents on my phone. I do not enjoy typing lengthy texts or emails on my phone. We live in a society where people are glued to heir phones. Take this little challenge. The next time you go out to eat leave your cell phone hidden in your vehicle or turn it off and put it away in a pocket or purse. Then look up and look around long enough to notice how many people's noses are stuck in their phones. They can be sitting at a table with other people and yet glued to their phones ignoring the people they actually have seated around them. For such a connected world it sure appears people are disconnected.

People walk down sidewalks glued to their phones. People watch sitcoms, movies and videos right on their phone. They now use their phone for Bible reading and devotions. Yet in this era of social media and instant communication are we any more connected with people? Are relationships deeper and more committed? Are marriages stronger, families more close knit and friendships closer? People boast about the number of friends they may have or the number of followers they have.

What about real relationships? What about real live conversations? I heard a pastor say recently, "People get brave legs behind their cell phones." Meaning people say things from their phones they would never say face to face to people. Phones are used to bully, harass, intimidate and manipulate people as well as all the positive things people do on them.

In this social media world people seem more distracted. I find it offensive when you are trying to talk to someone and they are constantly on their phone. We banned phones from our dining room table so we actually talk to one another. When did we ever get the idea a text or tweet could ever substitute for  real conversations? Where did we fall for the trap that facebook friends always equate to real friends? Have you ever had someone friend request you and you had no idea who they were? Those are not real friends.

Sure. I see advantages of cell phones. I often make ministry calls while driving. I called several people and invited to an upcoming ministry event driving home yesterday. I am able to call and check on sick members while driving making better use of my time. I often send prayer texts to encourage people. I can read and respond to emails while I am out of the office.

What about the dangers of cell phones? Our children have access to all sorts of evil right at their finger tips. Even the best of children are not immune from temptation to go where they should not go and see what they should not see via the technology they hold in their hands. What about how disconnected families become with everyone glued to their phones. Husbands and wives are ignored while spouses have to browse for hours on end. What about all the misunderstandings that occur because people post, comment and bully from their phones. What about little children who are taught all this mobile phone technology at a young age creating in them a desire for more and more. What will those children be like as teenagers and adults.

All of that said, not to mention, who is watching from the dark web stealing our information. Or those watching monitoring our every text, email, browse, post and phone conversation. In a land of freedom it seems we are less free and less private than ever. We are leaving digital footprints. Somebody somewhere has access to all we do on our mobile devices.

I know I know. I am old fashioned. Behind the times. A relic. Too old and too set in my ways. I would still rather read an old fashioned book than use an I-pad or Kindle or phone. I prefer to read my leather bound Bible. I do not even have a Bible app on my phone. I still like real conversations with real friends. I still like to give people my undivided attention when they are talking to me ignoring phone calls or texts. I still like visiting people in their homes where I get to know them. I prefer cold fashioned paper calendars. I'm not synced from my cel phone to computer. I still handwrite my sermons. I still enjoy attending worship services live as opposed to watching it from my mobile device. I'd rather see a movie on the big screen rather than a phone. I'd rather preach than tweet and write than text. I'm a relic. I like slower paces of life. I like cafes. I love small towns. I like country churches with down to earth country folks. I like ice tea no matter the season or the weather. I like country roads with beautiful scenery. I like taking walks to pray and meditate without the distraction of someone calling or texting. I like sit down meals with family and friends. I enjoy quiet days with Brenda. I still enjoy wearing slacks, dress shirts and a tie when preaching in houses of worship most often. I've never preached from my phone or other electronic device. I am an antique. I know it and I accept it.

In my estimation I do not see where being mobile has made society any better. It just means people move faster. They are constantly accessing information. They are stressed. They are addicted to what other people think about them. They live their whole lives on a stage for social media even if what they post is not real. A carefully crafted facade to get a few more "likes." Why don't people concern themselves with living so purposely on the stage for Jehovah who sees and knows everything?

I will be thankful for technology but I have no desire to be enslaved to it. Mobile phones and devices are amoral. Neither bad nor good in themselves. They are beneficial but they can also be dangerous. If you are more addicted to social media than devotions with Yahweh you better check yourself before you wreck yourself. If you are more concerned with the number of "likes" you get form others but not more concerned with Him liking your life you are headed for trouble. If you are enticed away from holiness by your mobile device I hope you will repent and return to Jesus as quickly as possible. Being mobile can be a good thing and it can be a dangerously destructive thing. Which is it for you?

Colossians 3:1-2 (NKJV)
1  If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.
2  Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment