Monday, August 27, 2018

Is There Any Word From The Lord?


Jeremiah was a prophet. A no nonsense proclaimer of God's word. He is also known as the weeping prophet. There is not one recorded incident of anyone repenting and returning to God in Jeremiah's ministry. Not one single person. Jeremiah could not be bought off. He stood for God and spoke for Him whether talking to common people or royalty. 

On one occasion the king approached Jeremiah and asked, "Is there any word from Yahweh?" Jeremiah resided in prison for speaking words from God. While every other false prophet prophesied prosperous things for the king and for Israel Jeremiah prophesied the truth. He spoke of the coming judgment from Yahweh through the nation of Babylon. 

On this day the king again approached Jeremiah and wanted to hear a word. Jeremiah did not shrink back in cowardice or tell the king what he wanted to hear to spare Jeremiah's imprisonment. No. Jeremiah boldly declared the truth. 

Here is how Jeremiah responded the king's question. Jeremiah 37:17 (NKJV) 
17  then Zedekiah the king sent and took him out. The king asked him secretly in his house, and said, "Is there any word from the LORD?" And Jeremiah said, "There is." Then he said, "You shall be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon!" 

Is there a word from the LORD? Does God have something on His mind? Is Yahweh still speaking? Jeremiah responded, "There is." Let that sink in. There are still words from the LORD. There are still things God speaks to the common people and as well as to world leaders if they have ears to hear. 

What does God want to say to President Donald Trump? What fresh message does God want to speak to the United States of America? What does God want to say to other rulers in other nations? Do those rulers have ears to hear and do their citizens have ears to hear? 

Jeremiah went on to proclaim, "You shall be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon!" Not what King Zedekiah wanted to hear. It is the message he needed to hear. 

My heart breaks that the modern church gathers and ministers to felt needs and preachers preach messages that sound more like group therapy sessions than Biblically based content. In many congregations the people flock in droves to hear what they want to hear but do not always hear what they need to hear. 

There are times words from God are hard. They are convicting. They are meant to call people to salvation and backsliders to repentance. The warnings of the coming end of this age are not easy to hear. Those clear Bible predictions about the end fo this world and the great tribulation are happening right before our eyes. Does the world have ears to hear. 

Do we really want truth? Do we really want words from the Yahweh? Do we want convicting truth that penetrates the mind and soul? 

I don't want to preach sermons. I don't want to put together messages. I do not give "talks." I am after words from the Lord behind the pulpit God has given me and all the other places He allows me to preach for Him. I want fresh words from Him. Not something stolen from the internet. Not copied from an old book. Not something warmed up from days gone by. Something fresh God preaches to me before I preach it to people. The people gather to worship and hear words from God. No matter what that word it is my aim is to preach and teach those truths. All of it. 

Several years ago I met with a search committee to be considered as pastor or their congregation. They asked many standard questions. One they asked included my views about the Bible. I told them I believed it to be divinely inspired inerrant word of God.  All of it. They said they believed likewise. I chuckled in response. For I knew the hard truths in scripture I had come across over the years that few churches have ever considered. They assured me they wanted the whole truth. During my time in that church one person on that committee often laughed after a hard message and said, "We said we wanted the WHOLE truth." I think they got more than they bargained for. 

God's word abounds with passages about His love, mercy, grace and compassion. Likewise, God's word abounds with warnings, calls to repentance, Yahweh's judgment and the consequences of sin and rebellion. Does the modern church want to hear that? 

There is one time when you are guaranteed to have non followers of Jesus in a house of worship. At a funeral. Over and over again I've heard preachers soft pedal the gospel and truth at funerals knowing unbelievers are present. How can preachers not clearly present the gospel and consequences for not turning to Jesus? It happens more than you think. 

Many years ago I got asked to preach two funerals for the same family within ten days of each other. The first the father. The second a 32 year old son who died from a drug overdose. They were not churched. They filled the funeral home chapel with devilish music from groups like AC/DC. They had well over a dozen songs to be played. The funeral director limited to just a few. I had a choice to make. Preach the truth or tell the people what they wanted to hear. I preached the truth. Those people probably never darkened the door of a sanctuary after that. I knew I had one shot to clearly present the gospel and consequences of a life of rebellion against God and His law. 

Is there a word form the Lord? Does God still have messages He wants to preach. I believe absolutely. I listen to lots of such messages from people long ago departed for eternity. Those words from the Lord feed my soul. Recently I shifted from listening to those old timers to some more modern preachers. It sickened me. Little Bible content. Little passion. Little fire. I could not even stomach to finish them and I tried nearly half a dozen different messages. They all sounded canned. Rehearsed. Alike.  I returned to the old timers and found what my heart desired. Words from the Lord. You can check them out too at www.sermonindex.net. May the Lord continue to give us fresh words for our day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment